Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

In flight Movies

Ms3983
Explorer C

Anyone have any ideas why I can no longer watch the free movies on an iPad?  I can watch the live tv and series, but when I click the link for the movies, nothing happens.  It works on my iPhone, but cannot get the movies to work on the iPad. 

7 REPLIES 7

Re: In flight Movies

N82EZ
Adventurer B

If I remember correctly there is something called a view right app to download for apple products?

Ms3983
Explorer C

Thanks for the reply.  

I actually have airtime player which is the app I think you are talking about.  I can get the live tv and series on the app to work, it is just the movies that won’t work.  

it’s really weird and worked for years up until the last few months.  

Andysouthwest
Adventurer C

Watched a movie three days ago on an iPad.

stevenrollinson
Employee
Employee
Solution

Hi @Ms3983 

We are tracking an issue in iOS and iPad OS 17.2+ that created a black screen and the inability to watch movies in the portal on a portion of our fleet. A temporary fix is rolling out to all aircraft early next week that will start the movie in the browser and require you to manually open to full screen until a more elegant solution can be implemented. 

As a reminder, no additional apps are needed to watch movies on Southwest flights--just your supported device and browser! We made that change in 2020 to make Inflight Entertainment more accessible to everyone.

Ms3983
Explorer C

Steven,

was this update ever rolled out?   Flew twice in March and same issue as before.  I am on an IPad Air (3rd generation) and I am running version 17.3.1 which is the last available. 

again, I am able to watch live tv and the series, it’s just when I click the link for free movies it does nothing.  I am also able to watch on my iPhone.  

stevenrollinson
Employee
Employee

Hey @Ms3983 .

I'm sorry to hear you're still having trouble. We aren't tracking any issues at the moment. Given that other video on demand functions are working, and that you can watch on your iPhone, it seems to be a device level issue. 

It might be time to double-check some browser settings or engage Apple Support on this one. 

Peakcelln
Explorer C

I have an iPad 9 and could not watch TV or Movies 2 days ago, or back in February when I flew. Before that, I had no problem. What is going on? Very Frustrating.

I can open the App/site, choose a movie and nothing happens; same on TV.