Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

In-flight WIFI and streaming Discovery+

slimer90
Explorer C

I'm considering purchasing the $8 in-flight wifi for my 8 hours worth of flights this Friday. I'd like to stream shows on Discovery+, which doesn't allow downloads. I see that Southwest says that streaming on Netflix and HBO is disabled and I'm trying to get an answer from Southwest directly...

Has anyone here successfully streamed from Discovery+ or other smaller streaming platform?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: In-flight WIFI and streaming Discovery+

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

You will not be able to stream any video service. They really don't allow downloading? Seems like they are missing a key feature and are behind the times.

--TheMiddleSeat

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

You will not be able to stream any video service. They really don't allow downloading? Seems like they are missing a key feature and are behind the times.

--TheMiddleSeat

Check the "now playing" options that are included for free, maybe you can find 8 hours worth of films and shows that will be provided without the $8.

It's not impossible that your service will sneak through, but they have caught all of the usual streaming suspects for sure. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A

Seriously doubt Discovery+ will work, internet is typically okay for emails, uploading and downloading files, etc. (but very slowly)

If you want to watch Discovery that is free on the live TV portion and the TV services work pretty well unless your traveling internationally, (like to the Caribbean it drops off when you get too far south, like to Aruba.)

dfwskier
Aviator A

As said above streaming is not allowed. 

Why?

Streaming hogs bandwidth. In flight WiFi is already bandwidth limited, and allowing inflight streaming would make it even more so.