Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Price Dropped again

manilowmaniak
Explorer C

Several months ago I reserved a o/w ticket from LAX-BUF for August.  I think the fare was somewhere around $250.  Much better than Delta's $400 something.  Since then I made it a practice to check the fare weekly and it has dropped 3 times since then and now it is only $148.  Are people shying away from the 737 or what is going on?

13 REPLIES 13

Re: Price Dropped again

dfwskier
Aviator A

Southwest customerily prices flights high when the calendar expands. Then as time pas ses and the airline sees that seats are not selling as well as the airline hiped they would, it drops prices.

What you are seeing is competely normal and has nothing to do withn737s. Lots of planes are going out with load facotrs of 90%+ .

manilowmaniak
Explorer C

I am not some rookie here😁.  There is nothing normal about a fare dropping over $100.  I'll gladly accept it but you cannot fly from the West Coast to the East Coast in August for $148.  Just curious what's behind the drastic drop.  

dfwskier
Aviator A

Maybe competition. I just did a quick check on Orbitz and I saw plenty of legacy carrierLAX/BUF August RTs

priced around $275 or less

manilowmaniak
Explorer C

Again I wonder if it is related to the 737 paranoia.  Most airlines use them now instead of the larger aircraft.  It definitely has nothing to do with competition in my case.  Buffalo is never THE place to go...ha.  

dfwskier
Aviator A

@manilowmaniak wrote:

Again I wonder if it is related to the 737 paranoia.  Most airlines use them now instead of the larger aircraft.  It definitely has nothing to do with competition in my case.  Buffalo is never THE place to go...ha.  

I guess you diidn't read my post easrlier in the thread in which I said I found numerous examples of the lagacies selling LAX/BUF August roundtrips for $275 or less..

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@manilowmaniak wrote:

I am not some rookie here😁.  There is nothing normal about a fare dropping over $100.  I'll gladly accept it but you cannot fly from the West Coast to the East Coast in August for $148.  Just curious what's behind the drastic drop.  

As @dfwskier mentioned, it's typically based on the market but sales can also influence the pricing too.

For example, later this summer toward the end of June, I have a return non-stop flight booked from AUS to LAX. Originally paid $189 for WGA when I booked in February. Price later dropped to $160 and I rebooked. During a "Low as $39 Sale" that took place during the first week of April, the fare dropped to $120 which I assume was in conjunction with the low fare sale. I locked in the $120 fare.

I checked WGA pricing just now for this flight and it is currently pricing at $255 (w/ a red "3 left" marker). That tells me the flight is filling up with the $135 difference in fare to what I paid for despite the fact that the departure is still more than a month out. The aircraft is a 737-8H4.

The route's late night non-stop departure at 8:40pm is currently pricing at $145 with a few connecting flight options throughout the day pricing at $154.

manilowmaniak
Explorer C

Who is WGA?

05bardic
Adventurer C

@manilowmaniak wrote:

Who is WGA?

WGA on this forum is Wanna Get Away (fare).

bec102896
Aviator A

@SoCalFlyer97 

Your going to be in my neck of the woods in AUS when you coming so I can come say HI!