Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Southwest Planetags

ckillham85
Explorer C

Southwest is a major carrier in Chicago and as such I grew up flying with SW as the go to airline out of MDW. Recently I came across collectibles called PlaneTags which are aluminum key chain made from recycled aircraft material after they are scrapped. One of the members shared a photo of one made from what appeared to be Nevada One. My  understanding this was specifically made for Southwest employees. I’m wondering if any are available or if anyone would want to part with theirs. I’d love to have a momento like this as a keepsake for my collection!

13 REPLIES 13

Re: Southwest Planetags

dfwskier
Aviator A

@ckillham85 wrote:

I’d love to have a momento like this as a keepsake for my collection!

Don't know about that, but I do know of a way for you to get a  Southwest momento.

Siuthwest works with a  firm in Nashville to repurpose the thousands of seat covers that it removes from various aircraft. The firm then turns the covers in to vsrious items for sale. Here's a link to the current items:

https://shoptgcr.square.site/shop/s-e-a-t-shop-x-southwest-airlines/9 

floridaguy
Aviator C

I would not believe any of this unless I could verify with reliable documentation.

Sounds like another board where someone said that Bill Mitchell changed the battery caps from yellow to black as the yellow detracted from the beauty of the Chevrolet orange engine.

Bill Mitchell could not have "ordered" Delco battery group to make that change.  All of this stuff is great theatre, but mostly nonsense.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@floridaguy wrote:

I would not believe any of this unless I could verify with reliable documentation.

Sounds like another board where someone said that Bill Mitchell changed the battery caps from yellow to black as the yellow detracted from the beauty of the Chevrolet orange engine.

Bill Mitchell could not have "ordered" Delco battery group to make that change.  All of this stuff is great theatre, but mostly nonsense.

Which part isn't believable? I'm certain about re-use of the seat covers. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

floridaguy
Aviator C

My reply was to the OP.  I cannot imagine that Southwest would purposely interfere with the recycling of a plane's shell just to sell mementos.   Now, if those sold for say $1,500 each, it might be worth it.

Again, I would seek to document this before doing anything else.  I do not have an opinion of the seat fabric.

ckillham85
Explorer C

D41424B9-FD17-455E-8D41-C2F03F492245.jpeg

The item absolutely exists, there’s no doubt about that. As previously stated the aircraft was retired (and replaced) and skin made into the keychains. The community that collects them has not seen them publicly offered, so it’s likely they were given to employees. I’m trying to reach out to those who may have stumbled across them and may be willing to part ways with them.

floridaguy
Aviator C

Yes, and I am saying you don't really know if they are made from recycled plane skins.  Yes, they exist and I would venture that if you follow the trail, they are manufactured in northern China from raw materials mined in Russia.

dfwskier
Aviator A

so "you would venture"  --- oh you mean you have an opinion.

And your opinion isn't worth any more than any one else's opinion.

The question is "do you have any proof?"

ckillham85
Explorer C

They’re manufactured in Torrence California, where then artist/owner works with various museums, boneyards, companies, and collectors to source the material. His business is beyond reproach. Furthermore, I would appreciate that everyone responding to this post stay on topic. I didn’t ask for assumptions, negative opinions, or suppositions. I merely asked about a collectible keychain.

floridaguy
Aviator C

As I said, I would verify that they are all as stated.  There was no claim that they were not.

I respectfully suggest that anyone who buys something that is supposed to be unique and special verify that it is what it is claimed to be.