Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

The weather based mess

Tgland02494
Explorer C

As a executive manager, I understand where the southwest issues start. Flights are to i cumbersome when it comes to flight crews. If you pay attention crews are jumping from plane to plane to get back to their home base. So when you have a major weather event that cancels flights in a few cities it throws a wrench into every other city. Your flight crews are not where they need to be for their next flight. A simple fix is base planes out a airport along with crews. So on Monday as an example Flight crew gets to their plane for first flight. That crew stays with that plane until it returns to their home base. In each city have floaters to fill in for sick or vacationing crew members. If a city like Chicago gets docked in and all flights to Chicago are cancelled the flight continues on to its next destination. Then you only have to deal with the passengers who were going in or out of Chicago. Now you don’t have planes and flight crews bottled up out of place. Except Chicago. I know it’s far more complicated but my point is Southwest needs to simplify crews and planes. There is no reason with proper management that flights going to Tampa are canceled because of airports being closed in NE or Midwest. In winter or south during major storms. If a crew stays with a plane it makes turn around time much easier and less stressful for crews as well.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: The weather based mess

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

You can submit your ideas directly to Southwest if you would like. Use the contact us link at the bottom of this page and send a message. 

--TheMiddleSeat

The weather based mess

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

I'm going to say SWA did have some control over the overall mess up this year, having an outdated system we are finding out.  It's sad that so many had to experience such a bad holiday meltdown that coincided with a storm.  

Hopefully SWA makes all passengers as whole as they can and learn to move on and get things fixed and improved.  

I still love their programs.  When I heard of the upcoming travel passengers increase and then the storm, I canceled all my DEC flights for future credits.