Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Unreliable Wifi

sjarecke
Explorer C

Here we are, again and again and again, on a Southwest flight with unreliable wifi.

I travel weekly for work. I generally take a two-hour flight from DAL to DEN, attend meetings, and then take a two-hour flight back the same day. I rely heavily on the wifi for four hours of productivity during otherwise unproductive time. Could I travel during non-working hours? Sure. But if I did, I wouldn’t see my kids at all on travel days. And for a company that has built a foundation on values, I believe Southwest would find that unacceptable.

A few years ago, when I made weekly trips to Denver I rarely had to worry about wifi connectivity. Recently however, an unreliable connection has been the rule rather than the exception. In many instances over the past year, I haven’t bothered to send a complaint because Southwest has such exceptional customer service as it relates to any other issue that I generally let it slide. In past months, I have sent a few communications regarding wifi through customer service only to receive the same verbatim, sorry-less, copy and paste response from a “customer service agent” which is clearly composed by a talentless PR team.

Sure, your free content almost always works and I suppose that’s enough to keep most occasional travelers satisfied. But I see a LOT of business travelers who likely rely on the wifi as much as I do. My assumption is that Southwest receives a fair number of complaints on this issue. This assumption is based on flight attendant reactions to my inquiry. They are tired of hearing about it too. And they’re trying to be kind.

I certainly would not interrogate any flight attendant about the wifi - or lack thereof.  I know they don’t have control over the situation - and seemingly possess very little knowledge. But it is shocking that this has been an issue for an extended period of time and Southwest’s decision makers continue to put their customer-facing employees in this situation.

No need to respond with your plan to change providers, or that you’re upgrading equipment, or that you’re testing new things on flights between select cities. None of those things apply to me or make up for my unproductive time. I don’t want to change airlines or airports. And I certainly don’t want to tell everyone I know that Southwest forced my hand in making a change by ignoring a critically important issue and/or making changes at a snail’s pace.

I would like to thank you for providing me with this unproductive time so that I could compose this communication on a device that doesn’t require wifi to work. I look forward to a response that illustrates that Southwest cares about their customers, or maybe their most loyal customers, or at least their own reputation.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Unreliable Wifi

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Can you look at the schedule and try to prioritize 737-800 or Max aircraft over the 700's if there are both serving that route?

I know the schedule might not lineup as favorably, but if it means a few hours of productivity at the airport and a greater chance of working in the air it might be worth it.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

sjarecke
Explorer C

That’s not really an option as I have meeting and family schedules, so the flight times are critical. Additionally, I’ve had issues with wifi on all types of aircraft’s. 

This is an issue that Southwest needs to address, not one that I should have to manage my life around. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@sjarecke wrote:

That’s not really an option as I have meeting and family schedules, so the flight times are critical. Additionally, I’ve had issues with wifi on all types of aircraft’s. 

This is an issue that Southwest needs to address, not one that I should have to manage my life around. 

My experience is tending to be better on the newer aircraft, but no guarantee that's true.

Use the Contact Southwest Customer Service methods if you want to put a formal notice to the airline about your experience. This is primarily customer to customer forum so we can commiserate and/or offer advice.

The only upside I can offer is that it is obviously a known issue and Southwest is rolling out a new provider, starting with the newer planes and then eventually to include the fleet, it might be a race to see if the rollout completes first or the -700's are retired first.

ZevSupport
Frequent Flyer A

WiFi for me on newer aircraft has been very reliable.

Community Champion | PHL based | ex-Companion Pass Holder | Southwest Passenger

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@ZevSupport wrote:

I agree in the past year the number of times it works is definitely on an upward trend for Max and -800's. Not absolute, but definitely improving.

jksobonya
Aviator A

@DancingDavidE wrote:

@ZevSupport wrote:

I agree in the past year the number of times it works is definitely on an upward trend for Max and -800's. Not absolute, but definitely improving.

Agree, I haven't had any problems on a MAX. 700s are a different story lol. Internet either doesn't work or works unreliably.

--Jessica