Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Companion Pass Multiple Trips

kcallstate
Explorer C

My wife is set as my companion passholder.  We plan to travel several times in the next few months.  Can I reserve her companion pass flights on all of these flights I've booked in advance for do I need to wait until the first flights are completed before adding her to my future already reserved flights?  I am not changing the person, I just need to know if I can reserve multiple future flights for the same companion.  Thanks in advance!

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Companion Pass Multiple Trips

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

@kcallstate wrote:

My wife is set as my companion passholder.  We plan to travel several times in the next few months.  Can I reserve her companion pass flights on all of these flights I've booked in advance for do I need to wait until the first flights are completed before adding her to my future already reserved flights?  I am not changing the person, I just need to know if I can reserve multiple future flights for the same companion.  Thanks in advance!

TL: DR: You can book them all now.

The complication is only if you change the companion to someone else, that would have to wait until your wife had completed all of her trips as you can't change the companion if they have any active bookings.

You could change back to your wife, and again anyone who was the subsequent companion would have to complete their trips before making the switch back.

Go ahead and lock them in! The only other complication is that if you need to change the ticket, you'll need to either call or else cancel the companion while you make changes and then add the companion back to the new ticket.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

ZevSupport
Frequent Flyer A

I like to book the primary traveler now, and the companion closer (although not too close or itll sell out). This allows me to change flights, prices, etc!

Community Champion | PHL based | ex-Companion Pass Holder | Southwest Passenger

bballflyer
Adventurer C

As mentioned in other posts you can add the companion now but it does make it a few more clicks if you have to change or cancel your flight because you have to cancel the companion reservation first, make your change, then add the back on the reservation;  However, I do think the complication is worth it because if you are on popular flights you will only be able to add a companion if there is a seat on the plane. If you wait and the flight sells out you will not be able to add the companion.  If you add it right away, your companions seat is secure.  For this reason I always add the companion right away.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@bballflyer wrote:

As mentioned in other posts you can add the companion now but it does make it a few more clicks if you have to change or cancel your flight because you have to cancel the companion reservation first, make your change, then add the back on the reservation;  However, I do think the complication is worth it because if you are on popular flights you will only be able to add a companion if there is a seat on the plane. If you wait and the flight sells out you will not be able to add the companion.  If you add it right away, your companions seat is secure.  For this reason I always add the companion right away.

This is the best advice. I wish I always followed it myself - instead I have added a companion at the airport before because I forgot and the flight was full a day ahead. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.