Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Credit for Cancelled flight not going back on RR account

scottpeterman
Explorer C

Purchased a ticket for my daughter back in March 2024 using my RR account.  She just announced she was pregnant and doesn't want to fly and be cramped on a flight, which is understandable.  I cancelled her reservation, but the credit for the flight didn't come back to my account, even though it was reserved using my RR account and paid for by me.  Contacted Southwest and was told the credit was only under her name, even though she doesn't have an RR account.  Is there a way to prevent this from happening in the future?  If I'm paying for someone to fly using my money and RR account, I should be the one receiving the credit if that flight is cancelled.

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Credit for Cancelled flight not going back on RR account

bballflyer
Adventurer C

When I book flights using RR the points always go back to the RR account used to purchase the ticket.  The tax you have the option to use as a credit or refund.  If choose credit for that it would be with the person who flew;  Do you have emails with the reservation number showing the original purchase with the RR account number on it?  If so, I would think you could email customer service with that info and would thing they would correct it.  

scottpeterman
Explorer C

I have the emails for the reservation, but for some reason it didn't have my RR account number on it.  When I called customer service to try and fix it, they said there was nothing they could do about it.  

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A

Believe the OP likely just used their Rapid Reward Account, (not points), to purchase the ticket for their daughter.  If the fare was the cheapest "non-refundable" WGA Fare, the credit automatically stays in the passenger's name not the purchaser's name. 

scottpeterman
Explorer C

You are correct.  Even though I think that's a load of crap, if I purchase the ticket using my RR account and my money, I should get the credit if the ticket is cancelled.  My question though, is there a way for me to change how I purchase tickets in the future for family members that would put the credit back on my account if the ticket is cancelled.   I know there's no transferring flight credit for RR members when I purchased WGA tickets, but I purchased it while logged into my account so I thought the credit would come back to me if cancelled.  I'm just trying to learn from my mistakes so I don't do it again.

bec102896
Aviator A

You can buy WGA+ and the funds become transferable so if you canceled you can transfer the funds to you as long as both you and the original passenger has a RR account

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A

Anytime and Business Select Fares are fully refundable, cash back in pocket......

dfwskier
Aviator A

You may not like it, but every airline treats the situation the same way. The tickholder is assumed to be the owner of any funds tied to the ticket -- regardless of who paid for the ticket.

kasey97
Adventurer B

Create a RR account for your daughter.  Then for future ticket purchases that are paid with $$, purchase WGA+.  Its only like $15-$20 more.  If your daughter has to cancel, the travel credit can be transferred to you.