Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

General Companion Pass Questions

rpol84
Explorer C

Good Morning all.

I recently qualified for the companion pass promo for flights in August/September. First time CP user, so I have a couple questions. Thanks in advance for bearing with me and your help!

• Based on some previous postings, it looks like I must wait until 8/15 to add the companion to my profile. Is this true? Just looking for quadruple confirmation!
  • If it is true, what is the best/correct route for booking flights in the promo window for a flight on, say 9/1:
    • Option A - I book a single ticket for myself today, sign the CP up on 8/15, and then add that person to my booking
    • Option B - I book both tickets today, sign up the CP on 8/15, they're "upgraded" to the CP, and I'm credited the second ticket cost

My gut tells me Option A is the answer. But with B, I'm guaranteeing a seat now, which I can cancel and get the credit for, while still adding the CP on 8/15. I just have to pay out of pocket today, which isn't ideal when the purpose of the CP is to not pay!

Again, thank you for the help here! Excited to take advantage of the pass.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: General Companion Pass Questions

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

You'll have to refer to the terms of the promotion to see when the CP will be activated on your account.  Once it is activated you will be able to designate and then add a companion to trips you have booked.  As far as booking goes, either option works.  If you are concerned the flight is going to sell out then go ahead and hold the spot now with a paid reservation for the companion which you can cancel later when adding the companion.  Be mindful that Wanna Get Away fares will be refunded as travel credits, Anytime and Business Select fares can be refunded back to the form of payment.  The ideal way to book the placeholder reservation is with points as they are quickly and easily refunded.

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

@rpol84 wrote:

Good Morning all.

I recently qualified for the companion pass promo for flights in August/September. First time CP user, so I have a couple questions. Thanks in advance for bearing with me and your help!

• Based on some previous postings, it looks like I must wait until 8/15 to add the companion to my profile. Is this true? Just looking for quadruple confirmation!

Correct. You cannot add your  companion until your pass is active 

• If it is true, what is the best/correct route for booking flights in the promo window for a flight on, say 9/1:
    • Option A - I book a single ticket for myself today, sign the CP up on 8/15, and then add that person to my booking
    • Option B - I book both tickets today, sign up the CP on 8/15, they're "upgraded" to the CP, and I'm credited the second ticket cost

The answer in large part depends on the risk that the flight will fill. If you are dealing with a touristy place (Las Vegas, Florida, an international destination), that risk increases. So Option B might be best as it gives your future companion a placeholder seat on the plane. People that do this frequently use points to buy the ticket. That way when you cancel, the points go right back into your account. The other option is to just use cash. The proviso there is that upon cancellation , your companion gets the travel fund -- and not you.

My gut tells me Option A is the answer. But with B, I'm guaranteeing a seat now, which I can cancel and get the credit for, while still adding the CP on 8/15. I just have to pay out of pocket today, which isn't ideal when the purpose of the CP is to not pay!

Again, thank you for the help here! Excited to take advantage of the pass.

bec102896
Aviator A

If you want to hold a seat but don’t have points you could book an anytime fare that way you get the money back to a CC. If your going to travel again you could book the WGA+ and once you cancel you could transfer the funds to yourself to book the next trip. 

rpol84
Explorer C

Thank you for the quick responses! My brain immediately went to cash/credit purchase of the would be companion flight. Definitely sitting on enough RR points to use for that purchase.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@rpol84 wrote:

Thank you for the quick responses! My brain immediately went to cash/credit purchase of the would be companion flight. Definitely sitting on enough RR points to use for that purchase.

And just to hold it - when you get the active CP you'll get the points back when you switch the reservation.

But you can still use CP on points tickets for yourself as well.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.