Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Rapid Rewards Points Stolen

missb
Explorer C

My account was hacked and 29,578 points were fraudulently utilized for a flight that I did not authorize. When I contacted customer service, I was told that they could not tell me whom the ticket was issued to.  This person was able to fraudulently access my account and steal my points but, I can't know who they are? This is crazy. Also, why was this person able to access my account so easily and make changes without me being notified? Changes should not be made so easily without the proper verification. Better security measures should be in place. I worked very hard to accumulate my points and I am highly upset that a random person was able to steal my points so easily. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what was the resolution? 

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Rapid Rewards Points Stolen

Willydave
Explorer B

I didn't encounter this kind of problem. But I agree security should be better, like in case of different login we should get notifications or there should be some two factor authorization option 

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A
Solution

@missb wrote:

My account was hacked and 29,578 points were fraudulently utilized for a flight that I did not authorize. When I contacted customer service, I was told that they could not tell me whom the ticket was issued to.  This person was able to fraudulently access my account and steal my points but, I can't know who they are? This is crazy. Also, why was this person able to access my account so easily and make changes without me being notified? Changes should not be made so easily without the proper verification. Better security measures should be in place. I worked very hard to accumulate my points and I am highly upset that a random person was able to steal my points so easily. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what was the resolution? 

Hello!

I would immediately try contacting Southwest again and report the suspect transaction. They should be able to locate the transaction in question and possibly put a stop on it if the flight has not yet been taken. 

Once you get a live rep on the phone, I would first say something like "I need to speak with somebody who can help me with an authorized Rapid Rewards Points transaction."

I would also report the theft to the police. While it is unlikely the police will be able to immediately "get" the thief, the police report can be used as documentation and evidence that the transaction was unauthorized.

melynn44
Explorer C

One question I have is.....are you absolutely sure that someone you know may not have used those points somehow? Is it at all possible?

I only ask because a friend of mine had her credit card "hacked." And she went through the whole process. And the credit card company gave her a similar vague response like you are receiving. That they could not tell her who used the card, but that it did not appear to be fraudulent. 

Ultimately, after weeks of this, it came to light that her husband at the time was doing some shady things. He was buying stuff, and returning it for cash, and using cash for drugs and so on and so forth. 

The point is....my friend was stunned. She was so insistent that she had been hacked. When she was asked by the company if there was anyone who could possibly be using her card, she emphatically told them no. 

Anyway, their vagueness and non-urgency about this whole situation makes me wonder if this is a similar situation. 

SD_Flyer
Explorer C

Are you still able to log in to your account? If so you should probably cancel the flight (and get back your points) and change your username and password immediately.

aircasey23
Explorer C

Had the same thing happen to me.  Contacted Rapid Rewards and still waiting to here from them. I asked why don't they have 2 factor authenication and was told it was available.  After searching the website, couldn't find where to enable it.  Called back, this time told it does not exists.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@aircasey23 wrote:

Had the same thing happen to me.  Contacted Rapid Rewards and still waiting to here from them. I asked why don't they have 2 factor authenication and was told it was available.  After searching the website, couldn't find where to enable it.  Called back, this time told it does not exists.

I don't believe 2FA is an option.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Pluto
Explorer C

This happened to me. Back in December 2023. I was trying to log into my SW account to purchase tickets and could not log in.  I could not log into the app either. I went to my email to check if I missed any from SW. Sure enough, I saw one dated back in December alerting me to a change in my account email.  (I missed this email) . I did not authorize any changes to my Rapid Rewards account.  I called SW and spoke to an agent telling them what happened. He was very helpful.  I reset my email and password and then realized while on the phone with the agent 21 thousand rapid reward miles were gone.  He walked me through the process of filing a claim.   I sure hope I get it back. I am waiting.  What I found interesting is when I went to purchase tickets today, I saw the name of the person who used my points.  It was listed in the drop-down menu where my traveling companion names are listed.  Prashae R. Hall... that is the thief, or a fake name?...  I want my rewards back.

bballflyer
Adventurer C
Solution

If you have the name you can go to the "view points" activity and search to find the confirmation number that used those points;  If they have not take the trip, you can go to manage flight and with the name and confirmation number you can cancel the flight and get your points back.