Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Scammer used my credit card to purchase airline ticket

Explorer C

Last week, I noticed a fraudulent charge on my credit card. Someone used my card to purchase a ticket on SW from Reagan in DC to Bush in Houston. The flight is coming up this week. I contacted police/ security at Reagan. They are being extremely helpful in trying to possibly catch this felon if they try to check in. I’ve been able to obtain some information regarding this reservation from some helpful customer service representatives. Since the charge was posted, I was able to get the ticket number, to eventually get a Confirmation number. A SW supervisor at Reagan wouldn’t even give this information ( said he had no way to get it) to the police officer assigned to the case. Tell me Southwest… wouldn’t you like to see someone prosecuted that try’s to get on a flight illegally and why can’t you give me the information on the person ( even if they’re using a false identity) who stolen my credit card to purchase a ticket!!! Protect the criminal??? I would like to think you have more loyalty than that to honest regular customers like myself, than to criminals! Maybe someone who has some authority at Southwest will help this week so that possibly this person could be arrested if they try and check in for the flight they charged on MY credit card!

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Scammer used my credit card to purchase airline ticket

bec102896
Aviator A

Maybe call Southwest reservations team and maybe they can assist. You can also dispute the charge with your bank as fraud 800/435/9792 you can also click the contact us link on this page and send an email to Southwest I would include information from your police report. 

they probably won’t give you the passengers name because maybe the person who committed the fraud booked a flight for someone else so the traveler may not actually be the bad guy (ex. Bad guy booked grandma a flight) and usually police won’t give out names as it could compromise the investigation 

Explorer C

yeah, I have spoken with customer service and emailed numerous times. That was how I was eventually able to get a confirmation number. They gave me more information than they would even give the police. I see what you’re saying about the scammer possibly buying  a ticket for someone else, but even getting that person’s name would help start a trail to the actual thief. These bold criminals need to be pursued, not let through the system just because I get my money back. At this point, it’s not even about the money to me. It’s about trying to track down people who pry on others and break the law. 

floridaguy
Aviator C

You need to file a dispute of the charge with your credit card carrier.  For this one, call it in and then follow up in writing.  Stop wasting time calling Southwest.  Your issue is with the credit card.

Explorer C

That was the first thing I did. I understand stand that piece of it.  What I’m trying to do is get information on the person that did this. Working with police to try and catch them checking in, and SW is not being overly cooperative.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

@207412273 wrote:

That was the first thing I did. I understand stand that piece of it.  What I’m trying to do is get information on the person that did this. Working with police to try and catch them checking in, and SW is not being overly cooperative.

Are the police asking for your ongoing support on this? I'd be surprised if the police wanted you to keep investigating, they have all the information and can get the more details from Southwest. The last thing they want is for you to show up at the airport to confront the person for instance - not that you are planning on doing that necessarily but just for example they don't know what a person is thinking.

If you got the credit card company to issue a refund then the system is working at the basic level. The credit card company and the police will follow up on the crime.

The person at Southwest doesn't know if you originally agreed to buy a ticket for someone or any other number of scenarios and can't/shouldn't give out customer information to someone that calls. There is eventually someone there that would have authority to give you info as the purchaser but I'm not surprised if that's a level or two higher than the first person you talk to.

If the credit card company is waiting then I guess you do have to keep following up a bit more, but hopefully they've already agreed to return your funds.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Explorer C

The police are asking for my help from SW, because thus far, they are willing to give me more information than them! Which seems crazy, given well..  the are the airport authorities. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@207412273 wrote:

The police are asking for my help from SW, because thus far, they are willing to give me more information than them! Which seems crazy, given well..  the are the airport authorities. 

Carry on then, and good luck. I do hope the person is caught. 

Since this is a customer to customer forum I'm not sure that we can offer much else in terms of actions that you can take. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

bec102896
Aviator A

The police detective is having you do their work? That seems weird usually the detective would call Southwest and get that info. You have the confirmation number they should be able to take it from there 

mjcasanova01
Observer

How were you able to get the confirmation numbers? The same thing just happened to me but I have no way to get this info. I disputed with my bank and filed a complaint cause the representatives were so unhelpful and said there’s nothing they can do