Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Use points for hotels?

Shannone74
Explorer C

Hello.  I have less than 3000 points from previous flights and we are considering a trip to Las Vegas mid-November. Therefore, I'm considering applying for a Southwest Chase credit card to offset the costs due to the points bonus for signing up.  Because its already late June and I'd need to spend $2,000 in 3 months to get the 65,000 points and the timing of the trip we are considering is November , I might just choose the option to get the $200 statement credit, which pays for nearly our entire RT trip, and will get 10,000 points after I spend $500.  To my understanding, these points won't be deposited into my Rapids Rewards account until up to 8 weeks after I've spent the $500?  Again, cutting it close to the mid November trip as far as trying to pay for it with points, but can these points be used to pay for our hotel room?  I was on the phone with 4 different people and I can't seem to find how many points, say, a 2 night stay at Venetian would cost Nov 14-16.  Maybe it won't let me find out how many points hotel stays typically run because I don't have the card yet?  Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.   Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Use points for hotels?

jksobonya
Aviator A

I don't have a Southwest credit card so I can't chime in on how many points it would take to redeem hotel stays, but if you're looking to stay at the Venetian ... without even knowing anything about the program I would say it would take a lot of points to redeem 2 nights there. It's one of the most expensive properties on the strip. But someone else would need to confirm how much it is, or provide an estimate.

You can see a really basic search result at this link: https://upgradedpoints.com/travel/airlines/unique-ways-to-use-southwest-points/ 

But you can't see what options were chosen to obtain the results (how many nights, etc.) so it's hard to say what Vegas would cost. 

IMO, I'd get a player's card and pay for the hotel. If you go to Vegas enough, and gamble enough, you will get comps and your hotel will be free or very discounted on future trips. That's what I do 😉  For my next trip I have Wed-Thurs free and Friday night is like $60. The resort fees will cost more in the end, lol. I'm staying at Park MGM, so it's no Venetian, but free works for me! 

--Jessica

Shannone74
Explorer C

Thank you for the replies and advice!  We don't have to stay at the Venetian by any means, but did get a good deal there awhile back and loved it.  But others like MGM I've stayed at are just fine as well.  

I can honestly see why using points for hotels isn't the best idea.  I do know some of these rewards programs arent that great, so I always tend to do the math. For instance, our trip in November (if we go) is 19,900 points for 2 of us round trip.  To pay cash, it costs $315.41.  So, in that case, the conversion is .015 if I did the math right, so in this regard, using points for airfare is the best idea.  

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Shannone74 wrote:

For instance, our trip in November (if we go) is 19,900 points for 2 of us round trip.  To pay cash, it costs $315.41.  So, in that case, the conversion is .015 if I did the math right, so in this regard, using points for airfare is the best idea.  

This will be the winning combo most of the time - use SW Visa to earn, redeem for flights. If you fly once in a while, save up until you have enough try not to buy points unless you have to top off a small amount.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

gsking
Aviator C

As said,  do it the other way.   Gain points doing other things and spend them on flights.

One thing about Vegas... you can book lots of hotels through Southwest and get extra points for a very good rate... pretty close to their value.  It's probably the best rate I've seen. 

Why buy points at all?   Mainly to get to a Companion pass.     Otherwise,  it doesn't really make sense.   Unless of course someone else is paying for the hotel. 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@gsking wrote:

Why buy points at all?   Mainly to get to a Companion pass.     Otherwise,  it doesn't really make sense.   Unless of course someone else is paying for the hotel. 

Purchased points are not Companion Pass Qualifying.

gsking
Aviator C

@chgoflyer wrote:

@gsking wrote:

Purchased points are not Companion Pass Qualifying.

You edited my reply out of context.   They are when it's through the hotel reservation.   You pay more for the hotel room, you get more points.   You aren't purchasing them directly. 

If you haven't tried Southwest hotels Rapid  rewards offers,  you haven't seen what I'm referring to. 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Oh, sorry. I assumed by "buy points" you were referring to points purchases, not hotel reservation upgrades.

dfwskier
Aviator A

You can only book points hotel stays with a company called More Rewards.

To do so you must be a holder of a Chase Southwest credit card.

Spending points thru More Rewards is a rip off. It charges lots of points for not much value.

Spending points on Southwest flights   gives you the highest value for your points.

Recommendation: pay cash for the hotel and use points for your flight.