Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

App not allowing me to select same flight after it changed

kevinbourne75
Explorer C

I am trying to change my departing flight through the app. Southwest changed my return flight so it says you can choose a new flight for free. It doesn't let you select the same flight or confirm that flight is OK. Unfortunately it says I cannot change my departing flight unless I select a new flight for the return flight. But I don't want to!

I know I will have to call Southwest to get it fixed. I am a programmer so I want to let the Southwest programmers that this is a bug in their app.

10 REPLIES 10

Re: App not allowing me to select same flight after it changed

dfwskier
Aviator A

Click on your reservation and pick change. The reservation will come up with both the outbound and return flight. Select just the outbound flight , and you should be fine.

I suspect that up to now you were selecting both flights.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@kevinbourne75 wrote:

I am trying to change my departing flight through the app. Southwest changed my return flight so it says you can choose a new flight for free. It doesn't let you select the same flight or confirm that flight is OK. Unfortunately it says I cannot change my departing flight unless I select a new flight for the return flight. But I don't want to!

I know I will have to call Southwest to get it fixed. I am a programmer so I want to let the Southwest programmers that this is a bug in their app.

You shouldn't have to confirm anything, if the new return flight is good then you are on it already.

It's not exactly a bug - you would only be going to this interface if you wanted to change the flight, not if you wanted to keep it.

I agree it would be nice to have a "confirm" option somewhere.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

kevinbourne75
Explorer C

When I select change they only option is to select the departing flight.  So I press change and it brings up the departing flight options. The top flight is the one they selected while the rest are in chronological order. I select the top one and nothing happens. My only option is to select a different flight, which I don't want to do.

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

Ok I see what’s going on here you were affected by a schedule change (could be minor like a flight number change) you are fine with that flight but want to change your return. First yes the new way it’s handled is not great they need to create a way for you to accept your new flight so you can change the remainder of your reservation. Second keep in mind if only one flight was changed the free change will only apply to that changed segment so if your trying to change the other flight you would have to pay any difference in fare if that exists. At this time the only way I know to make the change you want is by calling or tweet southwest and see if they have a way to accept your changed flight so you can make the other changes you want. 

I will pass this on to Southwest as well because I'm in the same boat on a couple of reservations that had minor changes but a price went down I just want my credit but can’t since it’s in schedule change mode. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

Why do you think you should be allowed to change the flight that was not affected by the schedule change?

In these situations, I have not been able to change the unaffected return flight except in unusual situations..

When dealing with a multi day delay on the outbound or multi hour delay  and a short time, til the return trip I have called in and obtained relief.

If we're talking about a short delay in arrival time of the outbound, I wouldn't even think of asking.

bec102896
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

Why do you think you should be allowed to change the flight that was not affected by the schedule change?

I don’t think they were trying to change the return for free maybe the price dropped maybe they had plans change of a better flight popped up so they just wanted to change even if paying fare difference but the app won’t allow it once in schedule change mode 

kevinbourne75
Explorer C

Exactly. I wasn't trying to get around any fees at all. I was fully prepared to pay the difference. 

cheyenneallgood
Employee
Employee

@MarkHursh is this something your Team is aware of/could look into? @bec102896 seems to have a grasp on what they're referring to, but it appears that after a reservation goes through a schedule change some Customers are unable to take advantage of a price differential because a change is allowed after the schedule change and does not take into account a cheaper fare. 

I may have butchered that explanation, so feel free to chime in here @bec102896!

kevinbourne75
Explorer C

Yes. This is exactly the problem. 

I am sorry I didn't explain it clearly the first time.