Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

NO REFUND ON RESERVATION MISTAKES

MELLOWMYRA61
Explorer C

I booked a flight for Miami from Baltimore. The itinerary should have said Leaving on Oct 4 2023 and Returning October 6, 2023 for two passengers. But without me reading the itinerary I assumed that it was right. On Oct 6,2023 we go to the MIA airport and to my surprised wa told that my flight left the same day I came in.  Who does this? Leave 6:55 am to Miami and comes back three hours later? I ask for another boarding pass and was told NO REFUND two hours after the flight departs. Then I was told I could purchase another boarding pass for $1,200.  Are they crazy? $1,200 for a two hour ride? I believe I should get a refund.  When the customer service lady had me on the phone, she should have ask questions to confirm the Arriving and departing dates.  I then had to pay $517.00 to rent a car for a 18 hour drive home.  I didn't plan all this for a two day vacation.  If this is how Southwest takes care of it's customers, then maybe I should go to another Airline next time and don't worry about points reward. Now My bank account is Overdrawn by $517.00.

Thanks Southwest.  What can you do for me before I go tell the world my experience with Southwest?

9 REPLIES 9

Re: NO REFUND ON RESERVATION MISTAKES

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@MELLOWMYRA61 wrote:

I booked a flight for Miami from Baltimore. The itinerary should have said Leaving on Oct 4 2023 and Returning October 6, 2023 for two passengers. But without me reading the itinerary I assumed that it was right. On Oct 6,2023 we go to the MIA airport and to my surprised wa told that my flight left the same day I came in.  Who does this? Leave 6:55 am to Miami and comes back three hours later? I ask for another boarding pass and was told NO REFUND two hours after the flight departs. Then I was told I could purchase another boarding pass for $1,200.  Are they crazy? $1,200 for a two hour ride? I believe I should get a refund.  When the customer service lady had me on the phone, she should have ask questions to confirm the Arriving and departing dates.  I then had to pay $517.00 to rent a car for a 18 hour drive home.  I didn't plan all this for a two day vacation.  If this is how Southwest takes care of it's customers, then maybe I should go to another Airline next time and don't worry about points reward. Now My bank account is Overdrawn by $517.00.

Thanks Southwest.  What can you do for me before I go tell the world my experience with Southwest?

Hello-

Sounds like that was a terrible surprise emotional shock and oversight. Note that this is a customer-to-customer discussion board and it looks like you already tried to resolve with a Southwest CSA rep at the airport.

As a frequent Southwest customer...unfortunately in case like this, I have to quote Abraham Lincoln on this and state there is no way to dodge the passenger responsibility of confirming the dates during booking. Southwest has a very solid means of communicating reservations from the original confirmation email to the multiple follow up's as trip date approaches. In my opinion, the dates shown on the flight details of each email are very clear. Unfortunately, the CSA's have no obligation to issue a refund in this case.

Going forward, always look at the dates and check it twice regardless of the airline or transportation carrier. I would also save a screenshot of both the flight/fare selection page and the confirmation page as backup.

Should I ever get into a situation like this, I would first go to a quiet area of the airport and let the emotional shock cool down first. Should I ever be quoted $1,200 to standby on a one-way flight, I would check for flight options for the next day and consider looking for and staying in a safe budget hotel somewhere in Miami area overnight for an extra night. I would have not done the car rental option all the way to BWI given the long distance and cost. I assume an 18 hour trip would also require a stopover. As of searching tonight on Southwest's website, a 6:35pm nonstop flight out of MIA to BWI tomorrow 10/9 still had WGA fares available for sale for $373.

MIA-BWI Next Day Fares.png

Always consider the different options and never make a major travel decision when emotions are high; that could further exacerbate surprise travel disruptions like this. Let the emotions cool down first; that will allow for better Plan-B implementation and execution such as possibly staying over one extra night and booking a much less expensive flight the next day. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@MELLOWMYRA61 wrote:

How did you book it? You should have a confirmation email and if you need to make a change within 24 hours of buying a ticket due to mistake (or any reason) you can.  *as long as you are buying the ticket more than 24 hours in advance.

If you are using the app or a third-party app like TripIt you would have gotten a "check-in" notice as well that would alert you about the mis-booking - I think this happens sometimes and there are always some seats that come available at T-24 as people who forgot they were flying realize they need to change a flight.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

dfwskier
Aviator A

Lemme get this straight

1) YOU made the reservation

2) YOU messed up the reservation

3) YOU did not look at the reservation to verify it was correct

4) YOU arrive at the airport and discover the problem

4) YOU want to hold Southwest responsible for all of the YOUs above.

Does that pretty well sum it up?

I'm sorry to hear that  you have gone thru this. I'm sorry that you had to spend extra money because of this. The reality though is  that you are responsible for this.

MELLOWMYRA61
Explorer C

It was my first time doing it by myself and I thought I had it right even though it was my mistake I called in to customer service for help and it should have been explained to me that I booked a trip and return for the same date but nothing was never said this has been an expensive lesson

bec102896
Aviator A

Who books a flight for 6am then returns 3 hours later: ME! In fact I just did it 2 weeks a go to get the companion pass and 5 people right around me on the plane were doing the same thing it’s actually more common than you think which is why an airline won’t assume you made a mistake and auto cancel same day returns. 

it’s always best to look at your email confirmation when it arrives to avoid these issues 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@bec102896 wrote:

Who books a flight for 6am then returns 3 hours later: ME! In fact I just did it 2 weeks a go to get the companion pass and 5 people right around me on the plane were doing the same thing it’s actually more common than you think which is why an airline won’t assume you made a mistake and auto cancel same day returns. 

it’s always best to look at your email confirmation when it arrives to avoid these issues 

I love taking a day trip!

It's certainly not the majority of passengers but plenty of people do it every day. Or especially business days, maybe less on weekends except for @bec102896 and others making points runs.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@DancingDavidE wrote:

@bec102896 wrote:

I love taking a day trip!

It's certainly not the majority of passengers but plenty of people do it every day. Or especially business days, maybe less on weekends except for @bec102896 and others making points runs.

Me three!

This flyer does several day roundtrips too as you may tell from my photo trip reports considering my multitude of 1 hour short-haul flights from SAN...except the time window to take care of my business in the destination city is more like 6-7 hours. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

I've never gotten my dates messed up, but I have gotten my cities messed up.

A few years back I was booking 6-7 round trips during a fare sale. I always book them as one ways - so that was 12-14 different reservations.

Anyway, I used one of them to fly DAL/MDW. A few days later I was at MDW and as I approached TSA I brought up my boarding pass on my phone and saw that the flight was reserved as DAL/MDW instead of MDW/DAL.      Ooooops

floridaguy
Aviator C

Well, as I said when I was a kid, "That's the brakes - power disc."