Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Southwest Flight Schedule Change - not giving option to change

vedan
Explorer C

Hi Mark - can I also send you a screenshot and confirmation number? I am experiencing this issue as well on both the app and desktop.

kksie
Explorer C

I spoke with customer service last week. The representative mentioned that I could still change my flight through them but not via the self-service option, though she didn't provide a reason.

changhakim
Explorer C

I have the same issue whereas before, it allowed me to change to a flight up to 14 days before or 14 days after the original flight date/time using the website.  The original email from SWA notifying you of the change of flight time does not provide a deadline to make such a change and in the past, was able a change anytime before your new flight date/time.  I'm really curious if SWA changed it policy, or is making us talk to a rep to make the change, or it's a technical glitch that haven't been fixed for a couple of weeks.  I don't think it's a glitch if they've let it go for 2+ weeks.  I wish they provide an official announcement so we don't have to keep guessing/speculating.

dfwskier
Aviator A

Earlier this week SW notified me that one of my October flights had changed. I just checked online, and I am being allowed to change that flight at no cost.

changhakim
Explorer C

I think you now have 14 days from the notice of the changed flight to make any changes (within SWA parameters) without a fee.  After 14 days of getting the notice, you may be required to pay a fee if the change to the flight is more expensive.  

dfwskier
Aviator A

Actually this is the way SW handled the situation for years. Then sometime in the last few years the 14 day requirement went away. Now it;s back.

ChrisPerry
Employee
Employee

Happy Friday! Jumping in from the SWA team here.

We recently made a system update to properly reflect our rebooking eligibility window.  If Southwest makes a change to a Customer's trip, they have up to 14 days to make two complimentary flight changes on our website or app.  Customers can find additional information on this policy and our contact information on our help center.

We appreciate you reaching out. 

changhakim
Explorer C

@ChrisPerry - Thank you for the response and glad to know the SWA policy has not changed.  The issue is that we were able to change our flights online, but that option is no longer available.  For example, my flights were changed about 1 months ago and at that time, I had the ability to change to a different flight online with any additional fee.  Now (today and likely in the past 2 weeks), that option has disappeared on the Southwest website so something happened to the online system.  So the inquiry is whether we now need to call or will the SWA website be fixed so we can change the flight online ourselves.  

changhakim
Explorer C

I think I understand now from the SWA policy below.  First, you can make any changes within 14 days of when SWA provides us notice of the flight change without any additional fees.  And within the 14 days, you can make changes up to 14 days from the original travel date and up to 2 times.  Otherwise, if you are outside the 14 days from the original notice date, you may incur a fee.  I think the part that was not included in the original notice/email from SWA is the 14 days deadline to change if you don't want to incur a fee.    

Change your flight

If Southwest changed your flight(s), you can rebook your trip. You can change your entire itinerary, even the flights that were not impacted by our change. You can reschedule your flights for up to 14 days from your original travel date and change your flights up to two times. There will be no extra cost if you make the change(s) within 14 days of our schedule change.

wkkunkle
Explorer B

The issue is they never said “within 14 days of the schedule change” - that’s not in the emails that went out with schedule change notifications. The only limitation was change your flight within 14 days of original travel date or check in within 24 hours.  It never said you only had 14 days to make the change.