Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Southwest “glitch” changed my flight

Alitru
Explorer C

Anyone have issues with a Southwest “glitch” changing a return flight? We made and paid for a change to our departure flight and Southwest decided to change our return flight without letting us know. Customer service admitted to an error on their end, which they call a glitch and they are not willing to change our flight back to our originally booked flight, even though there are seats available for the flight and earlier flights. Now we have to wait until 9pm and we are traveling with a child. We have email confirmation from an employee that they made a change to our departure flight only but they are still unwilling to make it right. After spending over 2 hours on the phone, on hold, and being disconnected multiple times we doing know what more we can do on our end. They said they could put us on another flight but we would need to pay the difference of $1,500 (there are 3 of us). They said if we pay, they would reimburse us after or trip, I find that hard to believe, especially with the way things are going and I don’t have $1,500 to just throw away like that. I just want them to fix the error they made so we can get home when we originally planned to. 

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Southwest “glitch” changed my flight

SoCalFlyer97
Aviator C

@Alitru wrote:

Anyone have issues with a Southwest “glitch” changing a return flight? We made and paid for a change to our departure flight and Southwest decided to change our return flight without letting us know. Customer service admitted to an error on their end, which they call a glitch and they are not willing to change our flight back to our originally booked flight, even though there are seats available for the flight and earlier flights. Now we have to wait until 9pm and we are traveling with a child. We have email confirmation from an employee that they made a change to our departure flight only but they are still unwilling to make it right. After spending over 2 hours on the phone, on hold, and being disconnected multiple times we doing know what more we can do on our end. They said they could put us on another flight but we would need to pay the difference of $1,500 (there are 3 of us). They said if we pay, they would reimburse us after or trip, I find that hard to believe, especially with the way things are going and I don’t have $1,500 to just throw away like that. I just want them to fix the error they made so we can get home when we originally planned to. 


Hola! This appears unusual and you did the right thing by reaching out to customer service. Sorry to hear that you've been going in circles trying to get this resolved. This forum is customer-to-customer comprising of your fellow travelers and unfortunately we will not be able to address your booking issue here.

 

However, I noticed your quoted $1,500 difference in fare total for 3-persons appears to be very high. I'm assuming your travel day is coming up very soon. Would you mind sharing your origin/destination airport pairs and dates/times of travel including your desired return time and your erroneously rebooked return time (don't share any confidential info like your confirmation number, names or contact info here). That way, we can point you in the right direction when you follow up with SW Customer Service. 

Re: Southwest “glitch” changed my flight

Alitru
Explorer C

Yes it is, we are returning from Orlando to Denver tonight. I believe the quote is high because they don’t have any wanna get away available on our initial flight. They offered a morning flight, for about $900 total but I still could not pay that and wait for reimbursement. 

Re: Southwest “glitch” changed my flight

SoCalFlyer97
Aviator C

@Alitru wrote:

Yes it is, we are returning from Orlando to Denver tonight. I believe the quote is high because they don’t have any wanna get away available on our initial flight. They offered a morning flight, for about $900 total but I still could not pay that and wait for reimbursement. 


Ok, thanks for letting us know your return trip is tonight. That explains why the mark-up is high. 

 

I did a quick search and it looks like the next non-stop flight from MCO to DEN is 4:40pm but it's showing as "Unavailable" across the board as of the time of this post. It is also the last scheduled non-stop departure for the day. However, there were some flight options with connections still available for all four fare classes.

 

However, I did not see a 9pm departure option from MCO-DEN for tonight as you mentioned you needed to wait until then. The last flight out from MCO to DEN with a connection is 7:20pm. I did see a departure with a connection at MSY leaving MCO at 5:25pm and arriving at DEN at 9pm. Would you clarify this.

 

Also, let us know if you have bags to check but have not checked them yet for your currently scheduled flight as you may benefit from Same Day Standby given the seat availability with the earlier options with connections. 

Re: Southwest “glitch” changed my flight

Alitru
Explorer C

It’s odd that you didn’t see the flight, it’s on the website. I appreciate your responses! We waited it out and will take the flight we were given since we didn’t have any other options. 

Re: Southwest “glitch” changed my flight

bballflyer
Frequent Flyer C

Try DM their twitter account, I usually get immediate response

Re: Southwest “glitch” changed my flight

dfwskier
Aviator A

I'm a bit confused.

 

The Southwest policy is that if Southwest changes your flight, then you are allowed to change to a different flight option - between the same 2 cities -- at no cost.

Re: Southwest “glitch” changed my flight

Alitru
Explorer C

I thought so but after talking with 2 different people and waiting on hold to speak with a supervisor they would not change it without payment. 

Re: Southwest “glitch” changed my flight

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Alitru wrote:

I thought so but after talking with 2 different people and waiting on hold to speak with a supervisor they would not change it without payment. 

 

Did you book this thru Southwest or somebody else?


 

Re: Southwest “glitch” changed my flight

Alitru
Explorer C

Booked through Southwest Vacations