Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Pittsburgh job

Wv
Explorer C

I want to apply for the position as a ramp agent at Pittsburgh airport and the ad says you must live in pa or Ohio. I live in West Virginia and I’m closer than Ohio residents. I got an email from a southwest employee saying that they may have requested that so you live within so many miles of the airport. Is there anyway I can get in touch with someone from the Pittsburgh hr so I could maybe apply for job outside of the internet? I would love to work for southwest and have some previous experience with united airlines during Covid and it didn’t work out. Is there a number maybe I could call at the Pittsburgh southwest office? Thanks 

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Pittsburgh job

dfwskier
Aviator A

Southwest hires so many people that the only way the company can manage the process is via the internet.

So if the post says applicants must be  resident sof OH or PA, then applicants must be residents of OH or PA.

floridaguy
Aviator C
Solution

I would suggest contacting the US Department of Labor.  I'm showing a map that clearly indicates what you are claiming.  If they want the person to live in Ohio or Pennsylvania, it is clear that they are comfortable with the person crossing the state line since Pittsburgh is in the western side of Pennsylvania.  You are correct that West Virginia is closer.  I drive through that area every time I fly in and out of Pittsburgh to visit my parents in Ohio.

floridaguy_0-1724529274198.png

dfwskier
Aviator A

"I would suggest contacting the US Department of Labor."

That has to be the dumbest thing anyone has said in the community this year.

And' I'm the one that inadvertantly hit solution instead of reply. No one would ever think your suggestion would be a solution.

floridaguy
Aviator C

The US Department of Labor will evaluate the posting to see if it is enforceable and fair.  This is the agency to voice a complaint to and I encourage the OP to do so.

If you think it is dumb, then keep thinking that way.

dfwskier
Aviator A

Are WV residents a protected class?

If not, DOL will laugh at the request.

SoCalFlyer97
Aviator C

@Wv wrote:

I want to apply for the position as a ramp agent at Pittsburgh airport and the ad says you must live in pa or Ohio. I live in West Virginia and I’m closer than Ohio residents. I got an email from a southwest employee saying that they may have requested that so you live within so many miles of the airport. Is there anyway I can get in touch with someone from the Pittsburgh hr so I could maybe apply for job outside of the internet? I would love to work for southwest and have some previous experience with united airlines during Covid and it didn’t work out. Is there a number maybe I could call at the Pittsburgh southwest office? Thanks 

@Wv 

Hi!

To be clear in response to the other replies, there is no federal labor law that I'm aware of that would restrict SW's job offering of local Ramp Agent Operations of PIT airport exclusively to PA or OH residents only.  

@dfwskier is correct where the official recruitment/application portal is via the SW Careers website.

I would sign up for SW Talent Community for now if you haven't done so yet:
https://careers.southwestair.com/jointalentcommunity

That way, if a local Ramp Agent job opening in WV opens up, you'll be the first to know. If you think SW would benefit by allowing VW residents to work at PIT airport (as it does appear to make sense given the distance), it doesn't hurt to drop SW an email suggestion:
https://support.southwest.com/helpcenter/s/email-us

Hope this helps!