Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Covid At Home Test

IslandGirl
Explorer A

Does anyone know if SW accepts an at-home Covid Test (ie: emed) for re-entry into the US for International travel?  I know that they require a negative test but am wondering if the at-home test versions will be accepted?  These are FDA approved tests.  I know American and United accepts them and have heard of 1 success with SW after a discussion among gate personnel but would like to hear from someone who has actually done it.  We brought 6 with us to Mexico - hoping we can use them!  

32 REPLIES 32

Re: Covid At Home Test

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

It is not what Southwest requires that matters. What matters is what the government requires.

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/fr-proof-negative-test.html

IslandGirl
Explorer A
Solution

Thank you for responding.  I understand what is required of the government (as we have already traveled internationally under the new requirements) I am wondering if SW will accept this at-home version.  

dfwskier
Aviator A

What Suthwest will accept  what the government will accept. Southwest will not be more restrictive than the government.

That;s why I provided to link to CDC in my earlier post..

IslandGirl
Explorer A
Solution

To answer my own question and for anybody's use....the rapid at-home Covid test we used was accepted by Southwest and was a breeze to administer and get through the airport with. No Dr. appt or expensive test required!  We travel to Mexico once or twice a month, we will be using the at-home test from now on! 

Sashasingh16
Explorer C

Hey, IslandGirl! Which brand do you use for at home tests?

thanks!

IslandGirl
Explorer A

We used the emed test.  Find it here:  https://www.emed.com/

gsking
Aviator C

Just a note that these rapid tests are NOT valid for Hawaii or Puerto Rico. 

Bummer for me. 

Sashasingh16
Explorer C

Did they turn you away?

gsking
Aviator C

No, just harder to get a test.