Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Extension of Travel Funds

dc999
Explorer C

I've got 3 travel funds, one that expires in Sept 2022 and two that expire in Jan 2021.  All of these were for supposed to be for travel during May 2020 (to Hawaii) but obviously got cancelled for the time being. I requested that the Jan 2021 expiration ones be kindly extended out to Sept 2022 (or something beyond Jan 2021)  because Hawaii still has mandatory quarantines once you land there. So far, I've been rejected at every turn because "rules are rules sir".

Anyone else been in a similar predicament? Seems like total BS that they won't extend my travel funds. I am not asking for a refund, credits or anything else. I simply want to use my "tickets" to travel during a time where it is actually allowed.  The "best" they can do for me is that I'd incur a $200 dollar "penalty" to extend the travel fund out by six months.

While I truly understand that "rules are rule sir", these rules should be contextual and not black and white.  We were, still are and will likely continue to be in Covid19 times.

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Extension of Travel Funds

dfwskier
Aviator A

You had from May 2020 to Sept 7, 2020 to make all of your travel funds have a 9/7/22 expiration date. How? By using your travel funds to buy any ticket and then canceling that ticket by 9/7/20.

You had your chance.

dc999
Explorer C

I did? Well FML then I guess, I had no idea. I guess I am 7 days late then?

dfwskier
Aviator A

@dc999 wrote:

I did? Well FML then I guess, I had no idea. I guess I am 7 days late then?

I'm afraid you are.

Refer to my second post above for the way to cut your pain from $200 to $100, though.

christianm2b2
Explorer C

How did they determine which credits received an extension? I had two credits automatically receive the transfer points offer and one that expires 10-02-202 that did not. I had no idea that we had to manually choose that option for some and not others. 

bec102896
Aviator A

@christianm2b2 wrote:

How did they determine which credits received an extension? I had two credits automatically receive the transfer points offer and one that expires 10-02-202 that did not. I had no idea that we had to manually choose that option for some and not others. 

Reservations cancelled by Southwest or three customer on or before September 7th had travel funds extended until September 7th 2022 and those funds are eligible to be converted to rapid rewards points. For travel cancelled after September 7th your funds are good for a year from when you bought your original ticket and those funds don't qualify for the converting to points option. Only travel funds with the September 7th 2022 expiration date are eligible for concerting funds to points. 

-Blake 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@christianm2b2 wrote:

Here's what Southwest emailed and posted:

However, in recognition of the current travel environment, we are extending the expiration date of some travel funds:

• Customers’ funds that have expired or will expire between March 1, 2020 and September 7, 2020, will now expire September 7, 2022.
  • Any travel funds created because you cancel a flight between March 1 – September 7, 2020, will expire September 7, 2022.

markchentx
Explorer C

Thank you for this information. Can you please forward the email to me? Thanks!

Mark

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee

@markchentx wrote:

Thank you for this information. Can you please forward the email to me? Thanks!

Mark

Hey @markchentx, I removed your email address for your privacy and per our Community User Guidelines . A screenshot posted here with any personally identifying information blacked out would be a better option!

Thank you,

Nicole
Community Manager

jlscanner
Explorer C

I'm in similar situation but my funds are going to expire in a few more months.

To buy and then cancel, do i need to buy a certain class of tickets?  Can i buy the cheapest "Wanna Get away" ticket? 

Would SW charge cancellation fee?  When cancelling, do i pick "Hold for Future use"?

Thanks.