Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Flying with an ADHD/Anxiety ridden 10 year old

lynzijeffsmith
Explorer C

We've flown before, but always on an airline where we would be guaranteed to sit together - OR when she was young enough where we could pre-board. 

Do I ask for pre-boarding due to disability? Do I board with families, even though she's older than 6? 

What's my best option here? There's absolutely no way she would sit with anyone other than my husband or I.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Flying with an ADHD/Anxiety ridden 10 year old

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@lynzijeffsmith wrote:

We've flown before, but always on an airline where we would be guaranteed to sit together - OR when she was young enough where we could pre-board. 

Do I ask for pre-boarding due to disability? Do I board with families, even though she's older than 6? 

What's my best option here? There's absolutely no way she would sit with anyone other than my husband or I.

Upgrades boarding would be the best option, if it’s available for sale prior to the flight.

Otherwise ask the ops agent if you can board at Family Boarding or as “extra time” as there was some message earlier this year that Southwest would make “extra effort” to seat kids with their parents even if they were in the 7-12 age bracket.

I’m assuming neither you or your husband are A-list?

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

lynzijeffsmith
Explorer C

Yes, neither of us are A listers. 

I did see that message, but was confused when the southwest site still said 6 years and under. 

We'll be flying out of TUC to LAX to ORD, first, then back through ORD to DEN to TUC, if the airports make a difference.. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@lynzijeffsmith wrote:

Yes, neither of us are A listers. 

I did see that message, but was confused when the southwest site still said 6 years and under. 

We'll be flying out of TUC to LAX to ORD, first, then back through ORD to DEN to TUC, if the airports make a difference.. 

The new ORD gates that Southwest is using are very far from the security checkpoint, leave some extra time for your kiddo to get down there.

Here was one article from The Points Guy:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/southwest-airlines-expanded-family-boarding-policy/

Here is the new wording directly from Southwest:

https://www.southwest.com/help/day-of-travel/boarding-process

DancingDavidE_0-1695680106667.png

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

For your Denver layover if there is time, you can go to the far end of the concourse and there is some sparsely occupied area - go downstairs to the non-Southwest gates at the end and it is very quiet.

There's a patio as well although it has been closed the last few times I came by.

LAX should be no problem, although the airport is huge you won't need to leave the Southwest terminal which makes it much more manageable. 

ivonnalow
Explorer C

Traveling with a 10-year-old who has ADHD and anxiety can be challenging, but it's great that you're planning ahead. Airlines typically allow pre-boarding for passengers with disabilities or those who need extra assistance. Since your daughter has ADHD and anxiety, it's reasonable to request pre-boarding to ensure she sits with you and feels comfortable. Your daughter's comfort and well-being are the top priorities. If you ever want to explore more about managing ADHD or anxiety, you can check out https://www.mentalhealth.com/therapy/what-is-cognitive-behavioral-therapy-cbt. It might provide helpful insights for addressing her needs.

floridaguy
Aviator C

You meet the criteria for preboarding.  Announce to the agent, either at baggage check or gate, that your child needs to preboard due to a medical condition as defined in the Air Carrier Access Act.  Respond to no further questions including "Do you need extra time?" as if you respond to that question, you will be designated as EXTRA TIME and board between A and B groups.

Since your child meets the criteria for preboarding, they are allowed one companion which would be you.  

Again,  mention that your child needs to preboard due to a medical condition as defined in the Air Carrier Access Act.

zydgins
Explorer C

Anyone else have their own travel hacks for calming pre-flight jitters in kids?