Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Mask Requirement is BOGUS

ipsedixit
Frequent Flyer C

No one on SWA is enforcing the mask requirement.

So if you feel like the requirement is "bogus" feel free not to wear one on the flight.  

It's ok.  Nothing to get riled up about.

I just flew twice in the past 3 days (post mask "requirement") and was completely mask-free during boarding and during the flight.

So just relax.

jse
Explorer C

Thanks for looking out for others!

TheMicMic
Explorer C

****Arrives to airport 2 hours early because I was told to do so****

Ok.

****Checks bags of acceptable size because I was told to do so****

Ok.

****Limit things I can pack because I was told to do so****

Ok.

****Pays extra for additional checked bags because I was told to do so****

Ok. 

****Goes thru security/takes off shoes because I was told to do so**** 

Ok.

****Gets boarded in A,B or C group because I was told to do so****

Ok.

****Wears a seatbelt on the plane because I was told to do so****

Ok.

****Gets asked to wear a mask to help slow the spread of a global pandemic***

You can't do that!  I won't give up my freedoms!  Where are my car keys?

dfwskier
Aviator A

Drive safe!!

Passenger1C
Aviator C

I’m not disagreeing that wearing a mask can seem ridiculous, however if you want service from a company that requires it... “it is what it is”. 

SWA Passenger, Community Champion

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@lborges48 wrote:

That is totally YOUR opinion. 1 - DIY masks don't do anything to stop any virus, Medical Grade masks ONLY do (and even THEY do not stop 100% of everything). 2. I highly doubt you would be allowed into an OR with your DIY or loop mask for the aforementioned reason 3. WHO has stated the ONLY people who should wear masks are those ill, or caring for an ill person. But clearly you know better

So yes, they are about control. But you keep believing you're somehow more  noble than those of us that know the truth and won't submit to this ludicrous policy.

Studies have shown that any mask stops the transmission of droplets from the wearer. Which is why it's important that everyone mask up whenever socially distancing isn't possible -- to protect other people.

Lots of detailed, fact-based info in my (very long) post in this thread.

[Edited to add...]

Here's the important section:

THE TRUTH ABOUT MASKS

The truth is that coronavirus is largely spread by respiratory droplets. And homemade masks can block the majority of those droplets. “Healthy” people infect just as many people as sick ones. And places like Austria saw a 90% drop in COVID infection within two weeks of mandating masks. So all of us should be wearing masks. But please don’t take my word for it. I’ve been wrong before, I’ll be wrong again. Instead, look at all the evidence below.

CLOTH MASKS BLOCK THE PRIMARY MODE OF CORONAVIRUS TRANSMISSION

First of all, we needed to realize exactly how coronavirus spreads. This is primarily through respiratory droplets which are about 5-10 microns in diameter. Studies tracing the outbreaks in China show that the transmission mode was primarily through these larger droplets. https://www.who.int/…/modes-of-transmission-of-virus-causin…

Still we can’t rule out transmission through aerosols (droplets smaller than 5 microns). But, fortunately cloth masks can block both droplets and aerosols.

A study from Wake Forest (in publication) shows that home-made masks can block almost all droplets, including aerosols. The better the material, the more droplets they block. The best masks are made with two layers of batik quilting fabric, or else cotton backed with flannel. These block even more droplets than a standard surgical mask, like the one I’m wearing in the photo on this post. https://newsroom.wakehealth.edu/…/Testing-Shows-Type-of-Clo…

jse
Explorer C

Great.  Make sure you DON'T wear your seatbelt while driving cross country!