Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Same Day Standby on an earlier flight

Tambaongoc
Explorer C

Hello,

I have bought tickets for a SW flight that is supposed to depart at 6:15PM. Now I want to standby  on an earlier flight (6:45AM). I would appreciate your input to the following questions:

1. Will I need to pay for changing to an earlier flight?

2. How do I find out whether I qualify for free same day standby?

3. Should I still check in for my flight at 6:15PM the day before and get to airport early to go on standby?

Thank you.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Same Day Standby on an earlier flight

dfwskier
Aviator A

It depends what fare you bought. If you bought a WannaGetAway (not Plus) and are not A-

List, yes you will have to pay for any difference in fare.

If you are A-List, you do not have to pay.

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

Hello!

@Tambaongoc wrote:

As @dfwskier  mentioned, depends on Fare Class or A-List status. A fare class of WGA+ or having A-List status allows you to do Same Day Flight Change or same day standby at no difference of fare.

@Tambaongoc wrote:

Anytime after midnight of the day of travel, first check the Southwest App or website to see if you can do a Same Day Flight Change to the 6:45am flight. Same Day Flight Change can be done online.

Pull up your reservation, and then select "Change Flight". If there are seats available on the 6:45am flight, you can rebook with the same city pairs via the app/website. As mentioned for question #1, if you have WGA+ (or better fare) or A-List status, there will be no difference in fare. Note that this benefit can be done anytime after midnight of the travel date; this cannot be done at the 24 hour check-in mark. Note that your original boarding position will not carry over to the rebooked flight. If you don't qualify for free Same Day Flight Change (i.e.: You have a WGA fare with no A-List), I would rebook this flight as soon as possible if able as waiting until travel day will further escalate the difference in fare.

If the app/website shows "unavailable" when you attempt to rebook, you can be placed on standby but this will need to be done with a CSA at the airport. "Unavailable" doesn't necessarily mean sold out.

3. Should I still check in for my flight at 6:15PM the day before and get to airport early to go on standby?

I would certainly still check in at the 24 hour mark if you don't have A-List or Early Bird Check In in case you cannot switch to the earlier flight. If you were not able to secure a Same Day Flight Change online, I would give yourself an extra 15-30 minutes when you arrive at the airport for the Same Day Standby.

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@Tambaongoc Southwest currently has a number of Travel Advisories posted.

I forgot to mention that if your origin, destination or through city airport is included in a Travel Advisory posted on Southwest's website on the date of travel, all fares qualify for rebooking or standby travel (within 14 days of original travel date) in the original class of service between the same two city pairs without paying additional charges.

bec102896
Aviator A

Breaking news just in the last hour: Southwest will soon let everyone do same day standby regardless of the fare class. I’m not sure of the date this will start but once I have that info I’ll be sure to share 

FA488F30-5205-403F-B3C8-2C19536F6C93.jpeg

dfwskier
Aviator A

@bec102896 wrote:

That's good to know. Thanks for sharing.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Tambaongoc wrote:

Hello,

I have bought tickets for a SW flight that is supposed to depart at 6:15PM. Now I want to standby  on an earlier flight (6:45AM). I would appreciate your input to the following questions:

Thank you.

Given today’s news:

1. Potentially no - not sure when the roll-out takes place for the new policy or when your flight is happening. 
  2. Will depend on roll-out of the new policy and date of your flight.
  3. Yes - under all circumstances get checked in and then after that would be when you can discuss a change whether under the new policy or as part of a more general ask at the airport. There is some leeway at the airport to grant you a new flight that may not be able to be confirmed online or by phone under the previous policy, so get your check-in completed first as usual and go from there.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.