Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Seat cushion/personal item?

Ottercat
Explorer C

Can I carry my seat cushion outside of my personal item (bag) without having the cushion count as my personal item (thus forcing me to check my bag)? 

This is my first time flying and I'm lost on this stuff. I have a disability but I don't think this cushion counts as an aid (even though I will be dreadfully uncomfortable/miserable without it). I can't not have access to my medication so checking my bag is not an option. 

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Seat cushion/personal item?

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@Ottercat wrote:

Can I carry my seat cushion outside of my personal item (bag) without having the cushion count as my personal item (thus forcing me to check my bag)? 

This is my first time flying and I'm lost on this stuff. I have a disability but I don't think this cushion counts as an aid (even though I will be dreadfully uncomfortable/miserable without it). I can't not have access to my medication so checking my bag is not an option. 

Happy New Year!

Here is Southwest's policy on carryon's and using a device for mobility aid:

Carryon baggage basics
You may carry on one bag and one personal item. The bag should be stowed in the overhead compartment, and your small personal item should be stowed under your seat.
Sizing up your carryon and personal item:
One carryon bag
Goes in overhead bin
Size limits: 24” (L) + 16” (W) + 10” (H)
Examples: roller bag, small suitcase
One carryon personal item
Goes under your seat
Examples: purse, briefcase, laptop computer case, backpack, small camera

https://www.southwest.com/help/baggage

What carryon or personal items are not counted against the TSA limit?
A child restraint system.
Assistive/mobility devices for individuals with a disability. There is no limit to the number of assistive/mobility devices you can bring onboard.
Outer garments or other wearable articles of clothing.
Food in disposable packaging.
Walking canes or umbrellas.

https://www.southwest.com/help/baggage/carryon-baggage

I'm assuming you're planning on bringing a carry-on luggage, a separate small bag as your personal item, and your cushion. In your case, if the cushion is used as a medical device to address a disability and will likely be sat on during the flight (e.g. not stowed under the seat or in the overhead bins), it will likely not count toward the federal limits on carry-on's but I would first declare this to the gate agent before boarding time that the cushion will be used to address a disability.

If able, you can also use a standard school-size backpack as your personal item bag and combine the small bag and the seat cushion into it if it fits and then take the seat cushion out before stowing the backpack under the seat. 

floridaguy
Aviator C

In a word, YES! 

Each article that you carry counts as an item.  Put the cushion inside something else that you are carrying.

dfwskier
Aviator A

Do not believe everything that is said here. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Ottercat wrote:

You can have two items - so if you have a cushion and a personal item you in effect have two personal items.

You can have two personal items, but not two carry-on luggage items. (i.e. not supposed to put two items in the overhead.)

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

dfwskier
Aviator A

Wrap your seat cushion in your jacket. You'll be carrying a jacket, carry on, and personal item on th plane. The two item rule applies to items that need storing. well, you won;t b wtoring your seat cushion -- you'll be sitting on it.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Ottercat wrote:

Can you stick it in the handles of the carry-on suitcase? I think it would be fine.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

tappingmom1
Frequent Flyer B
Solution

You can bring this cushion as a "free" item.

Per SWA, you have the right to travel with an assistive device. 

The U.S. Department of Transportation* defines an assistive device as "any piece of equipment that assists a passenger with a disability in coping with the effects of his or her disability." 

You have a disability.  This cushion helps you cope, relieving pain or allowing you to be more mobile when you get up.  You do not need to explain your disability but, as mentioned upstream, I would clear it with the gate agent just so you don't get pulled out of the boarding line to answer questions...and possibly lose your boarding place.

So, you should be able to take the following on board:
1. Carry-on bag: Place above seat

2. Personal Item: Must fit under the seat in front of you.  I would place your medications in this smaller personal item bag...just in case your carry-on bag needs to be gate checked.

3. Assistive Cushion

Safe travels!

*Source: https://www.transportation.gov/individuals/aviation-consumer-protection/wheelchairs-and-other-assist...