Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

over an hour wait for baggage at Midway in Chicago, Ill

cardmary
Explorer C

Yesterday, April 17, 2024 i was on a flight from LAS to MDW.  We landed at approximately 3:45 pm. our baggage was not delivered to the carousel for over an hour and one half!! Clearly something went wrong from the time we landed til baggage finally showed up.

we were told a person handling our plane's baggage had just walked off and no one took

his place!! that's rather hard to believe, but if so, it's rather incomprehensible.

is there anything Southwest will be doing to compensate?

thanks

3 REPLIES 3

Re: over an hour wait for baggage at Midway in Chicago, Ill

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A
Solution

@cardmary wrote:

Yesterday, April 17, 2024 i was on a flight from LAS to MDW.  We landed at approximately 3:45 pm. our baggage was not delivered to the carousel for over an hour and one half!! Clearly something went wrong from the time we landed til baggage finally showed up.

we were told a person handling our plane's baggage had just walked off and no one took

his place!! that's rather hard to believe, but if so, it's rather incomprehensible.

thanks

Greetings! I would email or send a DM via Twitter/X to Southwest Customer Service directly and see what they can offer as this message board is a customer-to-customer forum and we are not equipped to process customer needs.

The local area weather in Chicago reported thunderstorms and high winds which could have impacted ground crew operations; persons working outside are normally directed to take shelter inside if lightning is detected at or near the airport which may have described why the persons handling the luggage left the area. Not sure if that was the cause of the delay of your luggage but worth checking. 

https://support.southwest.com/helpcenter/s/email-us
Click on "Comment/Question", "Baggage", "Delayed Baggage".

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@cardmary wrote:

thanks

That's very long, Midway can be a longer time frame than some others but usually faster than that for sure.

I suggest to reach out to Southwest either online or Contact Southwest Customer Service and explain your observations and how it affected you - just include the facts. They may be able to offer a voucher, TBD but first step would be to ask.

The other perspective on this would be whether your flight only was delayed or was the whole baggage system backed up? That could signal whether there was a problem in general at the airport or if there was something specific to your flight that got held up.

Who knows about "what someone said" you have to consider for yourself does that person really know or does it make sense? This one doesn't...if the staff had "just walked off" then they were on the way to do something else and it was probably a miscommunication to get the task filled by someone else.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

floridaguy
Aviator C

I would demand compensation.  Handling your bags is part of the cost of the ticket.