Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Earlybird transfer with short layover

Kat1234
Explorer C

I paid for early bird check in and just realized I have a 40 minute layover in Chicago.  I might not even make that flight. I'm assuming I'm not getting into my early boarding. Has this happened to anyone?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Earlybird transfer with short layover

tappingmom1
Frequent Flyer A

This happens more times than you think...and it usually works out fine.  I'm willing to bet that you will make your connection flight out of Chicago!!

SWA typically begins their boarding process 30 minutes prior to the departure time.  And remember, pre-boarders take up the first few minutes.  Priority boarding will continue with Business Select, A-List Preferred, A-List, Anytime fare...and then EarlyBird.  My point being, a few more minutes are used before the EarlyBird boarding numbers begin.

If your gate is within 10 gates on the concourse and your plane lands on time, you will still be able to use your assigned EarlyBird position.  If you arrive at your new gate and boarding has already passed your position number, simply (and politely) go to the front of the boarding line, briefly explain, and you will be processed next.

Also, when I have a short connection, I take the first available seat toward the front of the plane...even if it's a middle seat.  Sometimes those minutes truly do matter when getting off the plane.

Safe travels!

bballflyer
Frequent Flyer B

Double check your flight, sometimes those short connections under 1 hour are not plane changes and it isn’t obvious when you book the flight 

ZevSupport
Aviator C

The crew can sometimes radio ahead if they see they'll be a few min late. But this is usually just the gate next door, you should be fine. GL!

Community Champion | PHL based | ex-Companion Pass Holder | Southwest Passenger

dfwskier
Aviator A

Snag a seat as near the front of your initial flight as possible - even if that means a middle seat.

That gives you the best shot at not only making your connecting flight, but at actually boarding at your stated boarding position.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

The other advice here is great.

Although no warranty it will be the same on your date of flight check the gate assigned today for both flights and see how close they are. Check a few more days to see if there is any consistency.

Also I would expect you meant Midway which can be a hike from high “A” gates to high “B” gates but if you are at O’Hare it will be very close. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.