Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Question about falling short on spending

Einhander
Explorer C

I’m new to the Southwest cards. So I believe I’m supposed to spend around 4,000 in 3 months. My question is if you fall a little short, do you not earn any points at all? Is it all or nothing?

12 REPLIES 12

Re: Question about falling short on spending

dfwskier
Aviator A

If your spending falls short, you do not earn whatever bonus you are trying to get.

Einhander
Explorer C

So do the points just reset? Just surprised you don’t get anything at all.

dfwskier
Aviator A

What points do you think would "reset?"

You'd earn 2 RR points for money spent at Southwest and 1 RR point for money spent elsewhere.

Einhander
Explorer C

But what I’m saying is if you fall let’s say $150 short for the 3 month period, then you would go back to 0 points? And then try again the next 3 months?

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Einhander wrote:

But what I’m saying is if you fall let’s say $150 short for the 3 month period, then you would go back to 0 points? And then try again the next 3 months?

No it is a one time bonus. You'll keep earning the regular spending. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Einhander
Explorer C

Can you clarify what you mean by you still get points for the regular spending but not bonus?

dfwskier
Aviator A

Now I understand. You mean points to qualify for the bonus.

You get one chance and only one chance to earn the points needed to get your bonus.

If you miss that one vhance, you do not get a second chance.

Andysouthwest
Adventurer C

Suggestion if u fall short, consider purchasing gift cards to places you know you will frequent in the next few weeks. This is my strategy, grocery store, gas station, home improvement, drug stores all have gift cards. U know u will be spending money at these places and gift cards allow you to extend the time to reach 3k total. Of course, spend within your means as not to be charged late fees or interest. Good Luck

05bardic
Explorer B

It sounds like you might be referencing the bonus of earning companion pass by spending $4k in the first 3 months. If you don't spend the $4k in 3 months, you will still keep the points you earned by making purchases, but you will not qualify for that companion pass bonus. You must spend the $4k in the first three months for the CP bonus.  I was about $100 short for the bonus so I purchased an Amazon gift card for $100. Received my CP a few days after the statement closing date.