Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Boarding with 2 kids, 1 under 6, 1 over 6

1netsw1
Explorer C

Hi,

My wife and I are travelling with our 5 year and 8 year kids. I just want my wife and 2 kids to be seated next to each other. If i can also be seated close great, but not required. I know southwest has family boarding that allows 2 adult plus our 5 year old. Does the 8 year old count as an adult ? If yes then wife and kids will get family boarding. Correct ? I hear southwest may allow all 4 of us during family boarding if we talk to agent but i don't want to count on it. So checking what the normal procedure is and weather 8 year old will count as an adult for 2 adult rule. thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Boarding with 2 kids, 1 under 6, 1 over 6

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

@1netsw1 wrote:

Hi,

My wife and I are travelling with our 5 year and 8 year kids. I just want my wife and 2 kids to be seated next to each other. If i can also be seated close great, but not required. I know southwest has family boarding that allows 2 adult plus our 5 year old. Does the 8 year old count as an adult ? If yes then wife and kids will get family boarding. Correct ? I hear southwest may allow all 4 of us during family boarding if we talk to agent but i don't want to count on it. So checking what the normal procedure is and weather 8 year old will count as an adult for 2 adult rule. thanks in advance.

You should be fine to all board. 

If the gate staff did limit it to two additional people, then send one parent and the older kid along with the younger kid and save a spot for the remaining parent. 

It may not technically be a guarantee but in practice I’ve never seen it not work as long as you are there in time for family boarding. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

1netsw1
Explorer C

Thanks for taking time to reply. My question is answered. 

1netsw1
Explorer C

Thank you for taking the time to reply. But this was not the question i was asking. Yes, acknowledge that there is no guaranteed seating for all of us to sit together. Yes acknowledge that 8 year old does not qualify for child assistance. I was just asking if 8 year old will qualify as one of the 2 adults assisting my under 6 year old who does qualify for child assistance. Per "accepted answer" in the response from other member below seems like the answer is yes. Good to know. Now if all us can board as family and get seats close together great, but not counting on it. At least my wife and 2 kids can board together and early during family boarding per southwest rules.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

That member also states that he preboards all the time so I’m not sure he’s waiting around to observe or participate in family boarding.

My own experience with 4 and 7 year olds on 50+ trips is no problem, two kids board with one adult all the time and if we’re all four together also no problem. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

floridaguy
Aviator C

There is no mention of preboarding in the question.  For each passenger that qualifies to preboard. one accompanying passenger may board with them.

What Southwest is doing is not "family boarding", it is better described as "child assist".  I have called and asked the question several times and always get the same answer.  That's the reason that I construct my response as it was described to me.