Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Early Bird Check-In and Got C44 - what's your highest? Zin

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@TobyLibby wrote:

The only logical reason to purchase EB seating is to avoid a poor boarding position. 

EarlyBird is great when you cannot or don't want to check-in 24 hours prior to departure, NOT to obtain a some magically great boarding position.  On vacation when someone may not have connectivity, or when someone is in a meeting or otherwise unavailable, or for early morning flights and someone does not want to wake up early the day before, EarlyBird is a great option.  It should not be seen as way to get the best seat.

There is no "sold out" for EarlyBird as everyone who has a ticket for a flight can check-in.  EBCI does not say it provides a particular boarding position and thus there is no point when what it provides is unavailable.

This false belief that EarlyBird provides some specific boarding position and should not be offered once those spots (whatever they are) are gone needs to stop.  It is not sold by Southwest this way, people have just decided EarlyBird guarantees something it doesn't.  it does provide a boarding position better than someone without status would get without EarlyBird (except for vacated boarding positions that may become available).  Better does not mean any specific spot.

--TheMiddleSeat

floridaguy
Aviator C

I believe that the point made by many in this forum is that the EBCI did not serve a purpose.  The fact that they come to the airport and present bags essentially checks them in anyway.  So, to provide an "early" version, with an associated fee, there is a reasonable expectation that for that fee, there is associated value.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@floridaguy wrote:

I believe that the point made by many in this forum is that the EBCI did not serve a purpose.  The fact that they come to the airport and present bags essentially checks them in anyway.  So, to provide an "early" version, with an associated fee, there is a reasonable expectation that for that fee, there is associated value.

EarlyBird checks you in and provide a boarding position better than someone without status would get without EarlyBird (except for vacated boarding positions that may become available).  Better does not mean any specific spot.  Any belief that EarlyBird did not provide a "good enough" spot (aka "value") is arbitrary and not part of what EarlyBird is actually promoted as nor provides.  If people are determining the value of something based on what it does not actually do, such as receiving an A boarding position, then that is not a reasonable expectation and they are mistaken.

One can determine they would prefer to save the money and check-in manually or just show up to the airport, but they should know their position will be worse than what someone with EarlyBird receives.  Yes, each person can determine if that worse position is worth the amount saved not buying EBCI, but there is no point at which Southwest can or should say "no more spots available" as no particular boarding position is guaranteed.

--TheMiddleSeat

TobyLibby
Explorer C

This from the Southwest Earlybird FAQ

EarlyBird Check-In is an option giving you the convenience of automatic check-in before our traditional 24-hour check-in. As an EarlyBird Check-In Customer, you’ll have the benefit of an earlier boarding position, a better opportunity to select your preferred available seat, and earlier access to overhead bin storage for your carryon luggage.

While not an early boarding position guarantee, it is implied.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@TobyLibby wrote:

While not an early boarding position guarantee, it is implied.

There's nothing implied here. Early bird will give you a better boarding position than EVERY person

that checks himself/herself in at some time after t-24.

floridaguy
Aviator C

I totally agree with you.  Not only is it implied, it assures you.

EarlyBird Check-In is an option giving you the convenience of automatic check-in before our traditional 24-hour check-in. As an EarlyBird Check-In Customer, you’ll have the benefit of an earlier boarding position, a better opportunity to select your preferred available seat, and earlier access to overhead bin storage for your carryon luggage.

Notice that it says that you will have (you'll have), not might, a greater probability, likely chance or somewhat of a chance.  The wording assures the user that their boarding position will be better and thus, the complaints that we see.

I would recommend to Southwest that you stop after the first sentence and simply market the product as follows:

EarlyBird Check-In is an option giving you the convenience of automatic check-in before our traditional 24-hour check-in.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@floridaguy wrote:

Notice that it says that you will have (you'll have), not might, a greater probability, likely chance or somewhat of a chance.  The wording assures the user that their boarding position will be better and thus, the complaints that we see.

No need to change any wording when what it says now is what it does.  Let's put it another way... if you check-in 24 hours prior to departure, do not have status, and do not purchase EarlyBird you will receive a worse boarding position than someone with EarlyBird.

The problem is people make assumptions about what "better" is.  Better does not specify a specific boarding position, only that you will have a lower boarding position than anyone without status who did not purchase EarlyBird.  Better does not mean first in line.  Better does not mean A, or even B.  Better might only be 1 position ahead of someone, but that is better.  People need to stop making assumptions that "earlier " or "better" is any specific spot.

--TheMiddleSeat

Haipham2017
Adventurer B

Sometimes it got worse than a person who just check-in 24 hour before. I had EB and got B position, my wife did not have it and got A position. When I asked people at the gate, they told me it is possible since the time my wife checked in, someone had A position cancelled the flight.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Haipham2017 wrote:

Sometimes it got worse than a person who just check-in 24 hour before. I had EB and got B position, my wife did not have it and got A position. When I asked people at the gate, they told me it is possible since the time my wife checked in, someone had A position cancelled the flight.

That kind of dumb luck does happen

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Haipham2017 wrote:

I'm surprised we don't hear more about this because I'm understanding (and sometimes contributing) to the effect that there must be at least one or more A-listers changing their plans the same day, just statistically I think this is happening ~1000 times per day or more.

But no one is on here complaining 'oh I got an A position and was only expecting a B" so we don't hear about it as much.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.