Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

EarlyBird check-in ?

tdkleffman
Explorer C

Forum,

I purchased earlybird check-in for the first time for my upcoming flight.  From what I know about earlybird check-in, supposedly I get checked in automatically 36 hours before the flight.  Well, I checked my reservation about 20 hours in advance on both a laptop browser @ southwest.com and with the android app, there was absolutely no indication that I'd been checked in! So, I manually checked in.  Boarding pass said B2 boarding position.  I have no idea whether or not earlybird did anything.  Comments??

10 REPLIES 10

Re: EarlyBird check-in ?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Boarding position is assigned 36 hours prior to departure, but you still need to retrieve your boarding pass sometime within 24 hours of departure.  When you check-in and get your boarding pass has no affect on your boarding position because you purchased EarlyBird.

--TheMiddleSeat

tdkleffman
Explorer C

Understood, but it's still a little confusing when SW says that earlybird check-in is automatic in their promo stuff.  If I've purchased earlybird ahead of time, my reservation details should be updated at 36 hrs prior to flight claiming I'm checked in; and here is a link to your boarding pass.  The way they handle this to me is sorta confusing.  🙂

. Re: EarlyBird check-in ?

dfwskier
Aviator A

This  topic has come up before and it is confusing because Southwest is not really checking you in  - something TSA requires YOU TO DO and can only be done 24 hours or less before departure. Southwest  is getting your boarding position for you.

The name Early Bird CHECK IN is misleading.

You are the second person in the last week to talk about this

Re: . Re: EarlyBird check-in ?

jksobonya
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

The name Early Bird CHECK IN is misleading.

Yes. It should really be called Early Bird Boarding Position or something similar. You still need to check in to receive your already-assigned position.

--Jessica

dfwskier
Aviator A

With B2, it is likely that Early Bird did what it is supposed to do.

floridaguy
Aviator C

I would recommend to Southwest that you stop after the first sentence and simply market the product as follows:

EarlyBird Check-In is an option giving you the convenience of automatic check-in before our traditional 24-hour check-in.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@floridaguy wrote:

I would recommend to Southwest that you stop after the first sentence and simply market the product as follows:

EarlyBird Check-In is an option giving you the convenience of automatic check-in before our traditional 24-hour check-in.

As you know it's a customer to customer forum, but you are welcome to submit your feedback directly to Southwest using the Contact Southwest Customer Service information listed at the bottom of this page.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

floridaguy
Aviator C

If you follow my earlier posts, you'll note that I already wrote to their new CEO and provided the same recommendation.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@tdkleffman wrote:

Forum,

I purchased earlybird check-in for the first time for my upcoming flight.  From what I know about earlybird check-in, supposedly I get checked in automatically 36 hours before the flight.  Well, I checked my reservation about 20 hours in advance on both a laptop browser @ southwest.com and with the android app, there was absolutely no indication that I'd been checked in! So, I manually checked in.  Boarding pass said B2 boarding position.  I have no idea whether or not earlybird did anything.  Comments??

For A-list if I'm logged into the app I do get a pop up if you have it enabled that says "your position is A-16+... or something like that. I'm not sure if that also works with EBCI or not but I do get what seems to be an automatic check-in.

I'm vague about the distinction between being checked in at T-36 hours and then retrieving your boarding pass or "reconfirming your check in" anytime after T-24 hours. 

What is a check-in? 😂  Why are the planes blue? Existential questions.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.