Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Please clarify policy on order of boarding

OctopusBilly
Explorer C

Hi, I am looking for clarification on what southwests actual policy says on the order of boarding. 

Specifically, I am encountering inconsistency and confusion with whether A-list and A-list preferred are entitled to board before families. Increasingly I am seeing thta many groups of or large families are allowed to board before A-List, when I was under the impression that family boarding came after A-list. Personally I am not concerned when it's a couple families and a couple kids but there are increasing circumstances where dozens of parents and children are allowed to board before those who have earned A-list. Looking for clarification on what the policy is becuase gate agents don't seem to agree what the policy is whne asked.

To be clear I agree that family boarding is a good thing, but they should probably come after individuals who have earned A list.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Please clarify policy on order of boarding

floridaguy
Aviator C

Preboard goes first, regardless if you are A-list, Business Select, the Emperor of Rome or George Bush.

OctopusBilly
Explorer C

I suppose I should clarify. I understand that preboard and business select/ A boarding passes first no matter what. Specifically I am referring to who boards directly after them. The individuals who board between the A group and B group. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@OctopusBilly wrote:

I suppose I should clarify. I understand that preboard and business select/ A boarding passes first no matter what. Specifically I am referring to who boards directly after them. The individuals who board between the A group and B group. 

You don’t need to clarify, it was clear.

A-list members without A Numbers should be in front of family boarding. 

If you see a “situation” developing just work your way up to the front or jump in at “A61” and ask “A-list?” and you should be good.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

OctopusBilly
Explorer C

Got it. Great tip. Thank you! 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@DancingDavidE wrote:

@OctopusBilly wrote:

You don’t need to clarify, it was clear.

A-list members without A Numbers should be in front of family boarding. 

If you see a “situation” developing just work your way up to the front or jump in at “A61” and ask “A-list?” and you should be good.

Actually, I did that 3-4 months ago at DEN.  The agent confirmed familes first. Next time, if there is a next time, I intend to have a quiet conversaton with the agent telling the person that he/she is not following company policy and that if he perissists that I will report him by name to the company. Then I'll ask for his name.

I have learned that employees are pretty afraid of being reported - by name. I'll share why at some point in the future.

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

Officially,

1) Preboards

2) A boarding positions

3) Peoplewho are A-List but have B or C boarding positions

4) Mix of extra time, families, etc...

I have seen some boarding agents take the initiative to make the unauthorized granting of families before my #3 above.

OctopusBilly
Explorer C

Got it. Thank you!!