Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Pre-Board Abuse

xsharrison04
Explorer C

Before I begin with my complaint. I want SWA to know I ALWAYS appreciate the flight crew and all they do to accommodate us travelers, keeping us safe and making air travel a bit more bearable! They have a tough job and I appreciate all that they do!

With that said, I'm fed up with this Pre-Board Abuse! In the last 2 years, I've become a frequent business traveler. I'm trying to stay loyal to one carrier for the extra benefits frequent air travel provides. It's become VERY difficult to maintain my loyalty to SWA. I'm an A-lister trying to make it to A-List Preferred but what's the use/benefit of trying to achieve this status when you see the blatant abuse of pre-boarders?

Yesterday 6/6/2024 amongst all the delays and connections the straw that broke the camel's back is this blatant abuse. I've had enough! As it has been mentioned in other post, I can no longer stay silent (this is something I NEVER do, post complaints). Of the 2 flights to get home, traveling from Memphis TN to Columbus OH it was crazy to witness. This is not to mention I had to change flights due to the delay out of Memphis otherwise I would have missed my connection. Because I changed flights (and no fault of my own), I lost my A18 and A19 boarding positions. So, I had to board after all the A's.

On the first flight, 14 ppl in line for pre-boarding. 2 in wheeled chairs (which I'm absolutely fine with).  But the other 12 ppl walked straight on the plane. Of course, all 14 ppl sat at the front of the plane! When we landed only 2 wheeled chairs were needed the rest walked off the plane.

The 2nd connection was the same as the first. 18 ppl in pre-boarding (it appeared 16 of them were traveling together) and 2 of the 18 needing wheeled chairs. Oh, one of the 16 had their dog with them! Of course, all of them sat at the front of the plane. When we landed the same 2 were wheeled off the plane but the other 14 walked off!!!

I just read a news article about SWA raising their prices for the early bird check-in as well as for business class A1-A15. I'm wondering if SWA will now charge a fee (say $50-$75 per connection) as a premium for Pre-Boarding. I think that would quickly reduce the abuse. Case in point, I don't always see ppl taking advantage of the business class A1-A15 option because of the extra fee. However, it seems SWA has no problem doing it for those who are legitimately trying to get a better boarding position! 

I'm not a veteran (I do have children serving in our military) but I would not be writing this post if the pre-boarders were strictly our women and men who are currently serving or who have served in the military and have sacrificed soooo much for this county. If fact, I would be in favor of having them board 1st before anyone else!!!! 

Finally, it is my opinion SWA values pre-boarders more than they do frequent business travelers. If things don't change, I will seek a different carrier who values me as a frequent flyer and values the money my company spends on air travel! Oh, and by the way SWA, other carriers do have pre-boarders but for some reason they don't appear to have the same abuse problem as you do! 

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Pre-Board Abuse

05bardic
Adventurer C

You'll find no shortage of posts on this board regarding the abuse of preboarding. Unfortunately it's illegal for SW (or any airline) to charge a fee for preboarding. I will agree that the latest news of SW raising their upgraded boarding and EBCI fees will increase the number of people abusing the system. The folks who used to pay for upgraded boarding are not going to want to pay even more for it when they see 25 people boarding before them for free. As for military, SW boards them with family boarding so they're not getting any better seats than the A listers. 

While almost everybody agrees that it's completely unethical for passengers who do not legitimately require preboarding to use it, there really aren't any alternatives for SW to fix it as long as they have open seating, due to the federal law (ACAA).

PDFelter
Frequent Flyer B

oh no, 18 people boarded before you, 16 of which walked on the plane.  I would expect them to walk off also. 🙂  

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, my husband who has Cerebral Palsy would give you both of his legs to have lead a normal life like you have without any complications that his CP has presented him in his life.  

Even if all 18 took the front rows, that is only 3 rows....  and that is a problem for you?  Have some compassion and be thankful you are A List  and have those benefits, able to fly instead of having to drive to your destination, and many other benefits of a non-disabled person.

I'm tired of the complaining and yes I know that people abuse the system.  This entitled world we now live in needs to check themselves.  You should be grateful you had a seat on the plane and got to your destination.

Be kind and compassionate.  1 in 4 has a disability.

dfwskier
Aviator A

Why to keep A-List? My most significant 2.

1) Free same day change regrdless of ticket type

2) When doing sme day change, getting to board at essentially A61 - regrdless of what boarding position shows os up on your boarding pass - pretty much guaranteeing an aisle or window seat.. Do that same day change on American, United and Delta and you;ll be stuck in a midde seat in the back of the bus.

SoCalFlyer97
Aviator C

@dfwskier wrote:

Why to keep A-List? My most significant 2.

1) Free same day change regrdless of ticket type

2) When doing sme day change, getting to board at essentially A61 - regrdless of what boarding position shows os up on your boarding pass - pretty much guaranteeing an aisle or window seat.. Do that same day change on American, United and Delta and you;ll be stuck in a midde seat in the back of the bus.

Well said!

Had to use "A61" a few times following a Same Day Flight Change...Still plenty of windows and aisles and bin space. Also the back has its benefit of overall wider seat space as the plane is narrower in the front and there's not a bunch of buzzsaw noise during the takeoff phase aboard the 737-700's and 8H4 planes. I admit, I like the buzzsaw as that tells me plane's engine is roaring but there's other folks who prefer not to hear it.

There was one recent flight where I was in the back aboard a full flight on a 737-700 and the wait time to exit the plane after crews opened the door was about 8 minutes. I've found it's usually 10-12 minutes aboard 8H4 and MAX8 planes but given their large capacity, one can still likely find a great window or aisle toward the middle ahead of the wing even at "A61".

kasey97
Adventurer C

I am a laryngectomee.  I breathe thru a stoma in my neck.  So my issue is respiratory.  I walk fine.  I need no assistance boarding the plane.  I pre-board.  The reason is because I have medical equipment that must be directly over my head or in the bin over the adjacent aisle.  Like super close.  I honestly could care less where I sit on an airplane.  Really.  I'm just glad to get on.  I really don't understand all the hoopla about getting to sit up front or in the first however many rows.  I make it a point to proceed to the back of the plane and choose a seat there.  My roller bag is quite heavy and I am very small.  Many times staff are in the back and are kind enough to help me with my bag.  I KNOW they are not required to and I don't expect them to.  I wear a back brace and pretty much handle my bag ok by myself.  So.....there are other reasons for pre-boarding besides mobility issues.  In fact, I think I have heard the announcement  for pre-board reasons go something like "if you need more time to board the plane or if you need the assurance of a nearby overhead bin."  I am also a disabled veteran and an Army Retiree.  But I don't expect special privileges for that.

kierants
Adventurer C

I dont think ANYONE has an issue with people like you preboarding. This is exactly what the system is meant for. You must also be aware there is much abuse.

PriusOwner
Explorer C

Other airlines have assigned seating, so unless pre-boarders try to occupy a seat assigned to another passenger then the only advantage is earlier access to the overhead space.  The proposed changes to Southwest boarding (assigned seats with extra charges for Premium and Select seating) should eliminate the pre-boarding abuses.  

SiltonMatt
Explorer C

I understand your frustration with some of Southwest pre boarding.  Flying from Fort Lauderdale to New Orleans we also had some of this BS with pre boarding.  I observed one guys walking around checking out the flight times, noticed I said walking around.  

When boarding time arrived this guys was in a wheelchair, best of all this was not even his flight as he tried to get on the plane!

I have very little issues with someone needing to pre board due to health issues, this should be limited to the person in the wheel chair and ONE (1) person to assist him/her in the boarding process.  It does not take 2 plus people to help the person out, if it takes more the airport has personnel to help with this.

The other person on this flight said she "needed help with here luggage,"  she had a carry on, there is someone on the plane, i.e. flight attendant who can help with this, they have help me before!   Oh, the lady saying this, had no issues walking around and collecting her baggage at baggage claim.

Southwest needs to start the seat assigning, they have gotten to the point that some people will do anything to get onboard ASAP, leaving those who have paid for priority boarding getting shafted.