Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Preboard vs Extra Time?

Stephkennedy16
Explorer C

My mom and grandfather are going to be flying Southwest next week. They haven't flown in a long time so they just want to make sure they know the process.

My grandfather has trouble walking long distances so he will be getting wheelchair assistance through the airport and down the jet bridge. Does this make him a pre-boarder or would he be in the "need extra time" group? 

They also purchased EBC for their flight. So if he doesn't qualify as a pre-boarder and receives an A group boarding pass, would he board with A group or would he have to wait until in between A and B groups?

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Preboard vs Extra Time?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

While technically they probably just need more time, I rarely see anyone utilizing that option. It's simpler to preboard and 99% of the time utilizing a wheelchair = preboarding 

No need for them to buy EarlyBird since assigned boarding position does not matter.

--TheMiddleSeat

floridaguy
Aviator C

I would suggest asking for a refund of the EBCI and declare yourself eligible to preboard due to a medical need.  One person may accompany the preboard individual.

Refer to The Air Carrier Access Act.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@floridaguy I knew it was only a matter of time before you would provide some useless comment.

EarlyBird is non-refunadable.  Lesson learned for next time.

--TheMiddleSeat

floridaguy
Aviator C

Tell ya what - I'm going to purchase the EBCI on my flight to New Orleans.  Then, I'm going to contact SW and ask for a refund since I preboarded.

I'll let you know how it goes.

In the meantime - LEAVE ME ALONE

dfwskier
Aviator A

S

@floridaguy wrote:

In the meantime - LEAVE ME ALONE

Stop posting dumb stuff and people probably will 

LEAVE YOU ALONE

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Stephkennedy16 wrote:

My mom and grandfather are going to be flying Southwest next week. They haven't flown in a long time so they just want to make sure they know the process.

My grandfather has trouble walking long distances so he will be getting wheelchair assistance through the airport and down the jet bridge. Does this make him a pre-boarder or would he be in the "need extra time" group? 

They also purchased EBC for their flight. So if he doesn't qualify as a pre-boarder and receives an A group boarding pass, would he board with A group or would he have to wait until in between A and B groups?

If they ask for a wheelchair they will probably get preboarding.

But if not for whatever unforeseen reason, then board with their A-number if they have one, or extra time at "A61" if the position is later than the A-group.

Or if they have an A-number and are happy with it, don't pre-board at all. 

Personally if they go for the wheelchair and would benefit from sitting towards the front of the plane, then just do the regular preboarding it will be less confusing for everyone.

If your grandfather wants to avoid any side-eye from the fellow passengers, then wait for a wheelchair upon disembarking also. That's what causes the other passengers to doubt the system when someone uses a wheelchair to board, then runs up the jet bridge at the end of the flight. 

I know its more complex than that, someone leaving the airplane won't be standing around in the same way the same person would when boarding the plane so it isn't really apples to apples.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

floridaguy
Aviator C

In our culture, people with a disability are viewed equally so give no attention whatsoever to those that might look and judge.  Let them.

If you declare the need to preboard, and someone interferes with that request, they are violating Federal regulations.  

I have read The Air Carrier Access Act in its complete detail and know what is in the law.  

No one, not the airlines nor another passenger, has the right to ask specific questions about your declaration of a disability.  No one.

Announce yourself as someone needing to preboard and that's all there is.