Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Highlighted

front of wings or behind wings

New Arrival

this Question is for the FREQUENT Flyer!....is the Passenger seating position,..better to be.. in front of the wings... or behind the wings?......Please keep in consideration I am Referring to the BEST In (OF) All *Aspects!...(visual, noise, ect!)........(*Exception is rest- rooms)...........Thanks!............................

3 REPLIES 3

Re: front of wings or behind wings

Top Contributor

In favor of the front:

• It's a little quieter in front of the engines for sure.
  • If you are sitting in the window the wings won't obstruct the view looking forward.
  • Faster to deplane.

Against the front:

• The very front section usually fills up every seat, even on partially full flights. If you want a better chance at an empty middle, head back a little ways.
  • No waiting in line for the restroom at the front - mainly a concern on longer flights.
  • Hectic during boarding, if you need to make any phone calls before takeoff head to the back for a few extra minutes of peace.

TBD...where is the wifi sending the strongest signal? Not sure yet. Maybe someone else knows the antenna(e) location. 

Overall if I'm traveling solo I try for the extra legroom exit row so i can use my laptop...I don't care if the seat reclines or not. I also like right before the wing, the overhead bins can fill up there and people head to the back looking for space, so it's a good location to score an emtpy middle seat.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.
Highlighted

New Arrival

The middle section of the plane has more room if you want a window seat then if you sit in the back or front. 

Highlighted

New Arrival

I am a frequent flyer who records take-offs and landings. This is a very difficult question for me to answer.

#1- The best seat is infront of the wing with a full window view. This would be in rows 2-4 but are usually occupied by pre-boarders.

#2- The next best seat is immediate behind the wings. I enjoy seeing/recording how the wings manuver during takeoff, desent, and landing. Just so awesome to see.