Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

overhead bin assistance

artandlisam
Explorer C

On my recent flight 2745 from DEN - BWI on 23 July I asked the male flight attendant (didn't get his name) for assistance putting my carry-on luggage in the overhead bin as I am 5'1 and knew I would have trouble reaching the bin.  The attendant told me he could not help me because he could get hurt.  I asked again and was given the same response.  I was surprised by his response and began making room for my bag.  The attendant came to my location and offered to help re-arrange the bags in the overhead bin.  I declined his help as I was still surprised by his initial response.  I managed to get my carry on in the overhead bin.

Is this the policy for assistance?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: overhead bin assistance

dfwskier
Aviator A

I have been told that flight attendants have been instructed to not lift things that are to be inserted overhead.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

I have been told that flight attendants have been instructed to not lift things that are to be inserted overhead.

There are quite a few that can't help themselves, but gradually this likely will be the new normal. Hit up a fellow passenger though, many will be willing (and not constrained by any insurance policies) to lend a hand.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A

In today's Litigious world, airlines as employers have generally instructed their employees not to lift heavy objects into overhead bins for passengers. The statement I have heard often is, "if you are unable to lift and stow your luggage yourself, we will check your bag." Carryon luggage can weigh from next to nothing to over 50 pounds, so I "get" the airline's position.

The FA was not being rude or singling you out.

Also FWIW, One of the main reason's preboarders are allowed a "plus 1" is to help stow their baggage/devices for them since the FA's are not supposed to lift heavy bulky items into the overhead bins.

Safe travels