Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Cardmember Bonus

aaronh56
Explorer C

Hello,

I am wanting to get a southwest credit card to get the new 75K cardmember bonus for signing up when you spend the minimum amount in the 3 month period. My wife currently has a southwest credit card and I am listed as an authorized user and have my own card with my name on it under her account. She is the primary account holder and it is connected to her rapid rewards, I am just listed as an authorized user. 

Because I am an authorized user, would I still be eligible for the cardmember bonus for signing up for the new card under my account and rapid rewards?

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Cardmember Bonus

dfwskier
Aviator A

Being an authorized user on another person's account is not the same as being a cardholder.

Yes you can get your own card and earn your own bonus points.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

Being an authorized user on another person's account is not the same as being a cardholder.

Yes you can get your own card and earn your own bonus points.

Disagree actually, they had told my wife that she'd have to get off of my card for a year to be eligible for the bonus.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

kingsmatt80
Adventurer C
Solution

Yes.  I opened a new card in 2021 with my wife as authorized user.  Got my signup bonus in 2021.

Wife opened a new card in 2022 (and I got the referral bonus of 20,000).  My wife then received the signup bonus of 50,000 points while still being an authorized user on my card.  Chase does not allow more than one signup bonus every two years per card member. So this is a good example that you should not have a problem receiving your signup bonus as a new card member while still being an authorized user of another person's card..

aaronh56
Explorer C

Thanks everyone for the input!

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@kingsmatt80 wrote:

Yes.  I opened a new card in 2021 with my wife as authorized user.  Got my signup bonus in 2021.

Wife opened a new card in 2022 (and I got the referral bonus of 20,000).  My wife then received the signup bonus of 50,000 points while still being an authorized user on my card.  Chase does not allow more than one signup bonus every two years per card member. So this is a good example that you should not have a problem receiving your signup bonus as a new card member while still being an authorized user of another person's card..

Did you have to change the type from Plus to Priority or between type of card?

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

kingsmatt80
Adventurer C

No David we both have the Priority card so I don't think you need to mix and match the different tier cards they offer.