Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Process of transferring points to someone else

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@ZWolfe wrote:

Does anyone know if the Southwest Rapid Rewards® Performance Business Credit Card perk of $500 point transfer fee reimbursement applies to any point transfers purchased with this card or only transfers made from my account to someone else?  In other words, could I use the card to pay for the transfer fees from points someone else wants to gift?  I'm curious if the card cares which rapid rewards account the points originate from.  I've got a family member who flies SW nearly every week for work.  He's A-List Preferred, has the companion pass yearly for his wife and accumulates an insane amount of points.  Outside of work, they really don't use the miles.  If I wanted to transfer those miles to my RR account, and paid the fee with the business card mentioned above, would those fees be reimbursed to me?  The points wouldn't originate from me, but they would end up in my account.  Obviously, I can always use his points to book my flights, but I'm just curious about this particular method.  I could always just try and see for a small amount of points if no one knows this particular answer.

I'm guessing no, the transferring party usually pays for the transfer as far as I know.

Your idea that as long as your family member is game to let you use the points, they can book the flights for you there's no requirement to transfer in order to use them for someone else's ticket so you do have that as a backup option.

Obviously that will be a time burden on them if you are talking 10-20 flights in this manner as they will need to make the bookings. 

This situation isn't ideal but since you mentioned it was family maybe they can find the time. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@DancingDavidE wrote:

@ZWolfe wrote:

Does anyone know if the Southwest Rapid Rewards® Performance Business Credit Card perk of $500 point transfer fee reimbursement applies to any point transfers purchased with this card or only transfers made from my account to someone else?  In other words, could I use the card to pay for the transfer fees from points someone else wants to gift?  I'm curious if the card cares which rapid rewards account the points originate from.  I've got a family member who flies SW nearly every week for work.  He's A-List Preferred, has the companion pass yearly for his wife and accumulates an insane amount of points.  Outside of work, they really don't use the miles.  If I wanted to transfer those miles to my RR account, and paid the fee with the business card mentioned above, would those fees be reimbursed to me?  The points wouldn't originate from me, but they would end up in my account.  Obviously, I can always use his points to book my flights, but I'm just curious about this particular method.  I could always just try and see for a small amount of points if no one knows this particular answer.

I'm guessing no, the transferring party usually pays for the transfer as far as I know.

Your idea that as long as your family member is game to let you use the points, they can book the flights for you there's no requirement to transfer in order to use them for someone else's ticket so you do have that as a backup option.

Obviously that will be a time burden on them if you are talking 10-20 flights in this manner as they will need to make the bookings. 

This situation isn't ideal but since you mentioned it was family maybe they can find the time. 

To add to that --- you would not be able to make changes to any tickets bought with another person's RR points. Any changes would need to be made by the person whose points were used.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

@ZWolfe wrote:

could I use the card to pay for the transfer fees from points someone else wants to gift?  I'm curious if the card cares which rapid rewards account the points originate from.  

Cards that offer credits like this do not care who is using the item being paid for, the card only looks for the specific charge, then applies the credit to the account. It works the same for Southwest cards that offer credit for EarlyBird or upgraded boarding, or non-Southwest cards that offer credit for TSA Precheck, Clear, or other airline fees. When the card is used to pay the fee, the bank sees the charge and applies a credit. If you use your Southwest Performance Business card to pay the fee it does not matter whose points you are moving where, the credit will be applied.

--TheMiddleSeat

ZWolfe
Explorer C

TheMiddleSeat,

Thanks for your reply!  I was pretty sure of that and plan to test it by transferring some points as soon as my actual card shows up in the mail.  Having the points in my account makes things easier for booking & changing flights....and I change my flights a ton!  I'm not changing the actual flight regarding where and when I'm going, I change my flight to capture the savings when prices drop.  It's literally a daily morning activity for me.  It's one of my favorites perks with SW.  You can always guarantee you paid the least amount possible by checking your flight daily and simply "change" your flight to the exact same flight to capture any decreases in price.  I'll report back once I've received my card and tested the point transfers from someone else's account to my own.

-Zwolfe

ZWolfe
Explorer C

TheMiddleSeat-

It's confirmed.  I used my card to pay for point transfers from another RR account to my own and the charge was immediately removed once it posted to the SW Performance Business CC account.  I doubt too many people are in the same scenario, but it does work regardless of where the RR points originate or end up.

swmonty
Explorer C

I can confirm that the Rapid Rewards account that is transferred to or from does not matter.  When the cost to transfer point hits the credit card, you will get a credit.

You will have to give your friend your credit card information, as he will have to initiate the transfer logged into his rewards account.

nana0216
Explorer C

I have the same question!

nushkin
Explorer A

I will echo what SWFlyer007 said.  There are posters who make great contributions to the forum like those she listed and those who only want to stir the pot and complain.  Thanks to all those who's posts help those of us with our problems and questions.  And lastly, it is great to see MiddleSeat back assisting us.

dfwskier
Aviator A

It's good to have you back themiddleset. Welcome.

Sorry, but i'm headed for my standard aisle seat this afternoon