Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Process of transferring points to someone else

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

What is the process of moving some of my RR points to another person.  Thanks.

18 REPLIES 18

Re: Process of transferring points to someone else

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

https://www.southwest.com/rapidrewards/points-center 

once here you can buy, gift, transfer, or donate points 

to transfer click that option then log in to your account 

keep in mind you can use points from your account or another account to buy tickets for other people the only time it might make sense to transfer is if you are short in one account a 1000 or so to pay for the ticket. 

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

Thank you for your help.

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

DON'T do it.

It costs you a penny a point to do the transfer. Points  are worth about 1.3 cents each. So you lose 70% of the value when you transfer points. Use your points to buy the other  person a ticket intad.

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

@dfwskier I've always enjoyed seeing your comments and often solutions to the issues/questions folks have in the discussion forum.  In this case, you provided for me some solid advise and I took your solution to heart.  I just bought two tickets for my son and grandson without the loss of value of the points.  I appreciate your insight on this and want to say, THANK YOU, very much.  

dfwskier
Aviator A

You are most welcome.

Do you have any idea how rare it is for expressions of thanks to show up around here?

You've made my day.

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

Agree.  There is a small group of individuals that I see on here that provide great insight and information to those who are seeking legit advise and not just to vent or rant on and on.  Your personal appreciation is noted, and I will also take the time to make sure I acknowledge that to those others on here I enjoying seeing.  

Although there are others, these come to mind:

@bec102896 

@shelbyusn 

@PDFelter 

@NicoleAshley 

@gsking 

@bwallet 

@DancingDavidE 

@TheMiddleSeat 

I appreciate all your efforts to come to this forum and actually provide sound advise and responses to the question folks are asking.  

ALL OF YOU, have a wonderful day and keep showing the LOVE.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Newly found perk of the Southwest Performance Business credit card is that it will reimburse you for the fees to transfer points to someone else, up to $500 per year. Otherwise, as suggested, don't do it.

Thanks for the shout-out

--TheMiddleSeat

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

Newly found perk of the Southwest Performance Business credit card is that it will reimburse you for the fees to transfer points to someone else, up to $500 per year. Otherwise, as suggested, don't do it.

That's a new one, thanks for sharing! And good to see you here.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

ZWolfe
Explorer C

Does anyone know if the Southwest Rapid Rewards® Performance Business Credit Card perk of $500 point transfer fee reimbursement applies to any point transfers purchased with this card or only transfers made from my account to someone else?  In other words, could I use the card to pay for the transfer fees from points someone else wants to gift?  I'm curious if the card cares which rapid rewards account the points originate from.  I've got a family member who flies SW nearly every week for work.  He's A-List Preferred, has the companion pass yearly for his wife and accumulates an insane amount of points.  Outside of work, they really don't use the miles.  If I wanted to transfer those miles to my RR account, and paid the fee with the business card mentioned above, would those fees be reimbursed to me?  The points wouldn't originate from me, but they would end up in my account.  Obviously, I can always use his points to book my flights, but I'm just curious about this particular method.  I could always just try and see for a small amount of points if no one knows this particular answer.