Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Compensation for weather system outage

hgoodman166
New Arrival

Has anyone received any response, compensations or refunds for the weather system outage fiascos last week? I had two flights in a row canceled and ended up having to spend an extra $450 on a new flight home and transport to and from the airport. I reached out to customer service and got an automated response that someone would be in touch with me. Haven't heard anything since. No refund for my canceled flight or anything. I would like that AND I would hope some kind of travel voucher - the least they could do. 

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Compensation for weather system outage

latoynew
New Arrival

I had a cancelled and delayed flight so I missed part of my hotel, I am still waiting on a response also. 

dfwskier
Top Contributor

Typically no airline provides compensation for act of god events - for things under the airline's  control- yes -----for acts of god - no..

The airline should provide a refund for a cancelled  flight. It does not happen automatically. You have to ask for it.

The best you'll do is a voucher for your trouble. Make sure you are dealing with customer relations on the matter

https://community.southwest.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Contact-Customer-Relations/ta-p/108355

jewellrunner
New Arrival

System outage is not 'an act of God' so they should be responsible. I have not heard back either and will be filing a complaint with the US Dept of Transportation if I don't hear anything in a couple of weeks.

dfwskier
Top Contributor

@jewellrunner wrote:

System outage is not 'an act of God' so they should be responsible. I have not heard back either and will be filing a complaint with the US Dept of Transportation if I don't hear anything in a couple of weeks.

And that is exactly what you should do

bwallet

The wording of the Southwest policy is not 'act of G-d', it is beyond their control. I'm guessing that they would say that a problem with a vendor is beyond their control. I don't agree, mind you, but I'm not making the decisions.

hgoodman166
New Arrival

Thanks everyone, following up here because I finally heard back today and received a $200 voucher but the no-reply e-mail said nothing about a refund. I guess I'll need to go through the process again to find out about that. 

jewellrunner
New Arrival

I got the same thing. It was obviously a canned response. I went ahead and submitted a ticket for each member in my party since the voucher only covers 1 of the tickets. I would like to actually have a conversation with someone as I'm asking for a very reasonable response, but they make it impossible to get a hold of anyone.