Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Oversized carryon

JodyByers
Explorer C

Hello, 

I have an item that is oversized that I would like to travel with as a carryon. It is 30"Lx20"Wx20"H. I saw there is information about traveling with oversized but nothing specifically about size limits. I would consider purchasing a seat for it if needed. It would travel in a cardboard box. I'm assuming it would be too large to go in an overhead bin. Can't be checked, too fragile and would probably qualify for limited damage coverage. 

Thanks in advance for any help

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Oversized carryon

dfwskier
Aviator A

Sorry, but I don't think there is any way that you could bring an item that big on the plane. I've never heard of anyone buying a seat for an item. Yours would be too large to seat belt in a seat and thus would be a danger in the event of an emergency. 

JodyByers
Explorer C

Sorry, posted my reply in a new box. In their website section about oversized carryon items they allow oversized musical instruments. They say you can purchase a seat for them and they need to be seat belted in. Just don't say how big an instrument is allowed. Thanks for the reply. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@JodyByers wrote:

Sorry, posted my reply in a new box. In their website section about oversized carryon items they allow oversized musical instruments. They say you can purchase a seat for them and they need to be seat belted in. Just don't say how big an instrument is allowed. Thanks for the reply. 

The intention is for things like cellos that could be buckled in and not block the neighboring seats. 

The exception is pretty specific for instruments so I haven't seen anything online that allows this in general. I think you should call in or contact via Twitter to confirm your specific item.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

JodyByers
Explorer C

Thank you, I called them and when the agent looked it up the wording was musical instruments, gifts, wedding dresses, etc. It does need to be cleared at the airport, but it's nothing hazardous or dangerous so it should be fine. 

Thanks for the reply. 

JodyByers
Explorer C

I'm not sure, on the website section regarding oversized items they allow oversized musical instruments and say you can purchase a seat for them. They just don't say what the size limit is.