Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Boarding

Nan3roc
Explorer C

Who agrees that it’s time to have assigned seating?

it’s getting ridiculous with the A, B, C positions. 
even when I pay  the extra for pre boarding most of the seats are taken and I’m in the back of the plane.

I’d rather pay extra for an Assigned Seat. This way I’d know where I’m seating and whom I sitting with.

after they seat the pre boarding, then the parents with children, the good seats are gone.

TIME FOR ASSIGNED SEATING, like all the other airlines have.

UPDATE SOUTHWEST.

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Boarding

dfwskier
Aviator A

There are numerous surveys which show that the vast majority of Southwest's customers prefer open seating. Plus, it is the fastest way to board everyone on  a plane.  Thatt  save Southwest money (and you, too,  in lower ticket costs) It isn'tgoing to change.

If you do not like it and it is a deal killer for you, then your should fly other airlines.

floridaguy
Aviator C

Soon all of the preboards will be assigned boarding positions A, B and C while the remaining six people who are NOT preboard will go at the end.

epcot
Adventurer C

Given this, it's interesting that the management alluded to some assigned seating in their quarterly call this morning.

flyingwasfun
Explorer C

I agree 100%.  I used to fly SW but sometimes I can fly first class on other airlines and get a nice comfortable seat etc. for the same price or less.  I always pay extra to be A1-15 but besides getting on the plane sooner there is no other extra value in it for the extra cost. Seats are still small and sometimes there already are people sitting on the plane when you get on.  

SW used to be a great airline to fly but now I find them expensive and they lack any differential value for the additional price they charge.  I told my wife recently I was done with SW until they do something about their seating assignment and seat sizes. It is not a matter of money but comfort. I'll pay the money just give me something worth it. 

walterhnri
Explorer C

I am a frequent Southwest customer.  I strongly favor the policy of open seating.  It is simply a faster boarding process with fewer conflicts and delays caused by individuals wanting to swap seats.  And for those that are not Southwest frequent fliers, you have the option of purchasing either Early Bird or Business Select if they don't have an A or B group seating assignment and want to board early.

I urge Southwest NOT to change the open seating policy.

denno
Adventurer B

You should receive your boarding sequence number when you buy your ticket, first come, first served.  This free-for-all (except it's not always free) at the 24 hour before departure mark is needless activity that serves no good purpose and just adds one more point of anxiety to the travel experience.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@denno wrote:

You should receive your boarding sequence number when you buy your ticket, first come, first served.  This free-for-all (except it's not always free) at the 24 hour before departure mark is needless activity that serves no good purpose and just adds one more point of anxiety to the travel experience.

Are you thinking the boarding positions would be assigned in number order upon purchasing, subject to how many A-list entries there are?

So without changing anything else it would go:

• Pre-boarding
  • Business Select
  • A List Preferred and A-List
  • Early Bird
  • Start assigning the remainder based on order purchased/modified

Eliminating the 24-hour check-in event?

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

@flyingwasfun Well, since you're not flying SWA anymore, maybe you might consider joining the other airlines forum.  Some of us like the current process.  And as mentioned, through survey, more folks like it than not. 

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

@Nan3roc   I DONT AGREE WITH YOU.  I find it hard to believe that if you paid for the 1-15 boarding that you are ever past the exit door seats.  If your dissatisfied with the process just say so, you don't have to embellish the issue.  I've not paid for 1-15 in 10 years and never have had to sit passed the exit row seats, and that even when I ad A 59. I like the current process.