Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Early Bird Check In is a rip off

KCattorney
Explorer C

I paid $100 for Early Bird Check In for my wife and myself.  We were assigned boarding spots B25 and B26.  However, after checking in, I was offered the ability to move up to boarding spots in A1-15 for another $80.  Needless to say, this is a rip off and misrepresentation.  The ad for Early Bird Check In does not mention the fact SWA reserves spots A1-15 for separate purchase.  Hopefully, someone will be filing a class action lawsuit soon, as SWA will not provide a refund.  I was an A-Plus member for years and have a SWA credit card but will be switching my flying preferences given recent experiences with SWA.

16 REPLIES 16

Re: Early Bird Check In is a rip off

dfwskier
Aviator A

???????????????????

You were an "A-Plus" member (what in the heck is that) for YEARS and you did not know that

A1-A15 are reserved for Business Select and, if available, can be purchased on the day of travel.???????? Every SW gate at every airport advertises it.

What rock have you been living under?????????????

What misrepresentation??

EB guarantees only two things

1) You don't have to check yourself in to get a boarding posiiton

2) You will have a better boarding position than EVERYONE that checks him / her self in

You got what you paid for. At B25, you likely got aisle/window seats somewhere on the plane.

So next time, why don;t you simply NOT BUY EB and just buy A1-A15 on your day of travel. Of course if they are sold out you'll be stuck at something like C45 and you'll get a middle seat in the back of the bus.

Or you could fly the other guys and pay 60 bucks extra for a decent seat, and for bags, and other stuff. Oh, and the base fare will likely be higher, too. 

The choice is yours.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

At $100 it sounds like you received EarlyBird for 2 people on a roundtrip itinerary and based on the boarding positions you received you were assigned a boarding position early like you were promised.  When you check-in for your return flights you will also see you have received the benefits of EarlyBird.  The upgraded boarding option is also available to anyone, but the $80 charge you saw was just for two people for one flight as that charge is per flight.  So, while upgraded boarding does get better boarding positions (if available), it does cost quite a bit more compared to EarlyBird, especially if you are flying routes with connections.

Before making silly comments about lawsuits please ask questions and seek to understand what you are purchasing.  If you don't understand, don't spend the money.  It's all pretty straightforward.

--TheMiddleSeat

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@KCattorney wrote:

I paid $100 for Early Bird Check In for my wife and myself.  We were assigned boarding spots B25 and B26.  However, after checking in, I was offered the ability to move up to boarding spots in A1-15 for another $80.  Needless to say, this is a rip off and misrepresentation.  The ad for Early Bird Check In does not mention the fact SWA reserves spots A1-15 for separate purchase.  Hopefully, someone will be filing a class action lawsuit soon, as SWA will not provide a refund.  I was an A-Plus member for years and have a SWA credit card but will be switching my flying preferences given recent experiences with SWA.

Was A+ the AirTran program?

Anyway - 1-15 always are Business Select fares - a maximum of 15 of these are for sale on any flight. If there are fewer than that sold (or projected to sell on the day of the flight), then the positions may be for sale on the same day for upgraded boarding position. If unused they end up not being filled.

For instance on my flight last night I was A16 but there were no Business Select or upgraded fares, so I boarded first.

A-List and A-List Preferred get checked in automatically prior to EBCI - these you can reliably count on at least 5-10 people on any flight starting at A16 but if you happen to catch a business-heavy route or are joining a group on the way to a convention you could easily end up into the B's with EBCI with these members taking up the A spots if there are 30 to 40 A-list members ticketed.

I would urge anyone that wants a particular seat to use the upgraded boarding approach instead of EBCI.

EBCI is more like you probably will get to carry on your bag as opposed to the very last C boarders that sometimes have to gate check.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

floridaguy
Aviator C

I will first say that there are a few "frequent contributors" who will disagree with my post in response to yours and they primarily shame anyone who disagrees with them.  Given that this is a board, as long as you follow the rules, all views are welcome.

I agree with your assessment.  I've never used that upcharge feature as I found it to be a waste of money.  Additionally, why do it at all if it doesn't improve your boarding position.  You can check in as you line up to board.

Request a refund from Southwest.  As an alternative, you have the RIGHT under The Fair Credit Billing Act to dispute the charge with your credit card carrier, tell your story, then await a decision.

I was part of a group of students in the mid 80s who helped re-draft the language on this Act and much of what we originally added continues to this day.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

While there is one "contributor" who may disagree with those of us with actual knowledge of Southwest, the truth is the system worked as expected and there is no justification for a refund.  Not knowing what you are buying is no excuse for requesting a refund.  If you don't think it's worth the charge then don't buy it again, but you got what you paid for and cannot justify a refund.  Yes, all views are welcome, it's just some are not based in any sort of truth or reality.

--TheMiddleSeat

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@floridaguy wrote:

I will first say that there are a few "frequent contributors" who will disagree with my post in response to yours and they primarily shame anyone who disagrees with them.  Given that this is a board, as long as you follow the rules, all views are welcome.

Who do you think disagrees with you about EBCI? I don't buy it.

@floridaguy wrote:

I agree with your assessment.  I've never used that upcharge feature as I found it to be a waste of money.  Additionally, why do it at all if it doesn't improve your boarding position.  You can check in as you line up to board.

It does improve it in an absolute sense, there are some number of people checking in at T-24 that will be behind you. But if people are thinking it guarantees an A position it does not do that, the advertising was changed to not say that it would do that, and the recommendation from the group is don't buy it for that reason.

But if you want to be ahead of people checking in manually, it will do that. Up to each person to decide if the cost is worth it.

@floridaguy wrote:

Request a refund from Southwest.  As an alternative, you have the RIGHT under The Fair Credit Billing Act to dispute the charge with your credit card carrier, tell your story, then await a decision.

The terms are very clear that it is non-refundable, but people do have the right to do things legally that are not likely to be in their favor and may end up being a waste of time, effort, and money.

An alternate approach would be only the first part of your suggestion to request a refund due to whatever extenuating circumstance, which might be granted. They do grant refunds where the cancelation is on Southwest's end of things. If you reach the right agent maybe this is possible.

Or if you are saving more on the re-pricing than what you paid for EBCI just take the little win on the re-pricing like the terms allow.

Or change this flight to some other flight outside the promotional window to save the EBCI, and buy the other fare new with or without EBCI.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@floridaguy wrote:

Yes, The OP does have the right to file and fail.Everyone has the right to do foolish things, and people, especially those from Florida, have a right to recommend foolish things.

The Fair Credit and Billing Act kicks in when the purchaser does not get what was promised. 

What SW promised was

1) No need to check in to get a boarding position

2) Purchaser gets a better boarding position than people that check themselves in.

..and that is what the purchaser got. End of story.

floridaguy
Aviator C

Say all you want about Florida but I went swimming today in sunny 85 degree weather and PAY NO STATE INCOME TAX.  So, if that is foolish then count me in.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@floridaguy wrote:

Say all you want about Florida but I went swimming today in sunny 85 degree weather and PAY NO STATE INCOME TAX.  So, if that is foolish then count me in.

I mean really ---

who cares.