Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: New Policy Assigned Seating and A List - how doe this change effect AList benefits

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Cancelled_Vacay wrote:

Thanks for reminding me. I just received an email from SW about buying A-List points. They were selling the Brooklyn Bridge the day before it was scheduled for demolition.

They are still figuring out the logistics of the transition and the schedule for sale as-is goes out quite a ways.

I'm not completely clear on the expected timeline but if an announcement comes in early 2025 that assigned seats are for sale it will be 6-9 months from then that the schedule is available.

In my best estimate A-list benefits should be good as-is through mid-next year at the earliest and then even after the changeover there will be some benefit for having it, it will be different but still recognized.

The "buy A-list" only works out if you are really close anyway, so if someone was only a few flights worth of points away I'd still go for it but really this is for the person that flies 15 to 19 flights per year otherwise less than that it will be cost prohibitive and you won't use it often enough and if you fly 20 times then you'll earn it naturally.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Re: New Policy Assigned Seating and A List - how doe this change effect AList benefits

Scott52
Explorer C

Of course 80% of the none loyal, none frequent flyers want assigned sets.  As an A-Plus preferred rapid reward member, beginning able to board first and pick my own set and who I might want to set next to was the only perk to being an A-Plus loyal frequent member with SWA.  SWA has just destroyed their frequent flyer program for the people that are loyal to SWA and probably generate a good portion of their revenue.  I wouldn't even look at other airlines when booking my flights, but that will all change now.

kjoytul
Explorer C

I feel the same.  I have been so loyal, even when it meant I could have taken a direct flight on another airline, or I have to get up at 3am for my vacation.  I have the SWA credit card, and I'm not sure I'll keep it.  

IFlewSWA
Explorer C

I completely agree! Southwest Airlines (SWA) has long been a pioneer in affordable, no-frills air travel, especially for frequent business travelers. They’ve done an excellent job expanding their offerings while keeping things simple, like their flexible programs that cater to people on the move. There are already plenty of airlines offering assigned seating for those booking family vacations months in advance. But for those of us who frequently make last-minute changes, knowing I wouldn’t be stuck in a middle seat just because the flight was almost full was a huge relief.

When you’re flying multiple times a week, it’s exhausting, no matter what. We used to joke that having “status” with an airline or hotel wasn’t really something to brag about. Perks only help lessen the burden of travel – it’s rarely a pleasure.

The only way I can see SWA recovering from this potential misstep is by keeping the flexibility of their current system while introducing assigned seating. It may not fully fix the issue of last-minute seat changes, which often allow business passengers to snag a great seat even just an hour before the flight. But SWA could adjust by allowing seat selection at the 24-hour check-in mark, while still giving A-List members 48-hour check-in access and Business Select passengers maybe 96-hour check-in.

For general passengers, seat options could be broader – like selecting “window,” “middle,” or “aisle” – with flexibility for groups to choose arrangements like “window and middle” or “middle and aisle.” These passengers would need to understand they might be moved to accommodate A-List preferences.

I really hope SWA isn’t just going to follow the herd and adopt the standard seat assignment model of other airlines. If they do, it’ll be hard to justify my loyalty to them anymore. I’ve already been considering a switch to JSX, and this change might be the last straw. Hopefully, it’s not the end of what was once a great airline.

K-s
Explorer C

100% right!  

K-s
Explorer C

100% agree!!

K-s
Explorer C

100% correct!

robcox
Explorer C

I hope they create a hybrid program that keeps what made them unique but helps them pull in more customers from other airlines. 

2 bags fly for free and getting a great seat for loyal customers that are A-listed is huge (especially for those that do business and fly last minute or have to change flights last minute). We all hate getting stuck in a middle seat especially on a work trip or when stressed.  

I would love to see them look at how many A-list/A-list preferred members on average are on each flight. Using that average they could “block out” what would be considered “good or acceptable” seats from being “selected” during the seat selection purchase process. This would ensure last minute bookings to be guaranteed an “A-lister” seat. This would still give the reward of being loyal and earning status with SWA but also allow SWA to attract more customers and expand their airline and fleet to less frequent flyers. 

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A

I guess we will see. SWA has diluted and watered down A-list threshold requirements to the point that most any casual infrequent flyer can achieve A-list, so there are a lot of A-list flyers these days. 

Explorer C

I have been an A List member for more than 20 years and fly nearly exclusively on SWA.  I am here to tell SWA that if you start assigning seats that you will lose me as loyal customer.  I can fly Delta, American, or nearly any other of the airlines to all of the places that I regularly go but I don't like dealing with their uppity, demeaning boarding and seating process.  SWA isn't cheaper anymore, I stick with them because it's so much less hassle and a more efficient, simple, boarding process.