Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Pre-board policy

HMRHD
Explorer C

With the new assigned seating policy, how will this affect disabled customers using their own wheelchairs? I am disabled and I choose Southwest whenever possible, the friendly staff always allows me to board first as my chair will fit into the bulk head without need for use of the aisle chair and I transfer into one of the seats in the front row. Will this change for individuals using personal wheelchair for travel?

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Pre-board policy

dfwskier
Aviator A

No one knows for sure at the moment, but i suspect SW will be like every other airline, and you may need to use an aisle chair to get to your assigned seat.

However, I suspect nothing  will change March 6, 2025 at the earliest.  That is the effetive date of the next schedule update.

Andysouthwest
Adventurer C

I have asked Southwest thru phone calls, text and emails this same question. I am STILL waiting an answer. Frustrated

dfwskier
Aviator A

Why are you frustrated? You can keep doing what you have been doing thru at least 3/5/25 - IMO. You can't even make a reservation for a date after that.

Southwest will tell you what you need to know in good time.

PHX1978
Explorer B

Southwest can leave the first 2 or 3 rows unassigned for disabled,  then the rows from 3 or 4 to the emergency exits can be assigned premium extra legroom seating.  Southwest could even leave the rows in the back half unassigned,  maintaining the current system that many frequent Southwest flyers like.  Seat color and design could differentiate the assigned and unassigned seats.

floridaguy
Aviator C

People will continue to preboard to take up all of that nice overhead bin space before others get on the plane.

Pre board pre board over the ocean blue....

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A

They "can do" that for the first few rows, but literally that defeats the whole premium seating concept they are trying to push so that's unlikely to be their plan.

Your mileage may vary.....

Dfwguy
Explorer A

most likely in the same manner as all other airlines. You can blame the 'miracle flight' abusers (need wheelchair to get on first to get a good seat), then magically healed in air and no longer in need of a wheelchair to deplane.