Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Not wearing a mask? Don't sit next to me.

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

Recently, during boarding, I had someone who was wearing a mask around his chin look like they were considering siting next to me. If they had tried to do so, I would have told the no. I don't want to deal with this. 

I don't get this. Get a vaccine. Wear a mask. Saying that doesn't make me a hateful person.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Not wearing a mask? Don't sit next to me.

gsking
Aviator C

Just curious... when are you going to let someone without a mask sit next to you?   Never?   When the FAA says it's okay?   What metric will you use to determine when it's safe enough? 

I presume you are vaccinated.

Not wearing a mask? Don't sit next to me.

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

@gsking Well, I'm not the poster but here is my reply.   Yes, only when FAA, CDC, and SWA all have agreed that mask-wearing isn't mandated.  Then I really have no place to request it.  But just because the aforementioned lifts the mandate, I'm sure when that happens there is still a chance to get COVID.  So I will continue to wear a mask, bite my lip, and be about my own business.  I'm vaccinated, tested negative every time I got a COVID test, which was often.  The thing is, COVID didn't make us do things we had to do, it just made everyone do the things we should have been doing all along, washing hands, keeping distance from people who may be sick, those that are sick, DON"T FLY, or go out, sanitize like no tomorrow.  If you fly on my flight, you will see me, and my wife, in a mask, wiping down the seats and all buttons for the 3 chairs in our row, keeping distance, and hoping nobody take that middle seat.  It's odd, but for 10 years or so we have given odd looks to the Asian population that had caught on to wearing masks way before the pandemic.  I for one think now I'm the goofy one for not getting on board with them. 

gsking
Aviator C

Well,  I guess we are on opposite ends of the hypochondria spectrum.   I don't wipe down anything and it hasn't affected me negatively all these 50 years.   On the contrary,  I think oversanitation leads to a reduced immune system and possibly even stronger germs,  but I'll leave that argument to the doctors. 

At least you're consistent in your logic,  which I respect.   But one interesting factor... they claimed the intent of the mask was to protect others from you,  at least for Covid.   But all your other actions are intent on reducing YOUR risk. 

I presume your thinking is that wearing a mask also affords you a level of protection from others?   ( Again,  I make no claims regarding this being true,  but that hasn't been the argument for the past year).

Or are you just being magnanimous? 

I guess I'll go sit in the smoking section in the back like the good old days.   Just now we're the heathens who prefer to shun the masks.  

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

My message was heavily redacted and has lost its meaning. Logic has lost all meaning in this world.

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

I will state what I said before, but I will be very explicit for those with limited language ability:

I do not hate gay people. I shared my story on Flyertalk in a relevant discussion. Even though I do not hate gay people, people acusedyme of being like someone who hates gay people. This is despite the fact that I do not. They said that I was like someone who wouldn’t be near a gay person 20 years ago because I thought they all had AIDS. But, none of that is true. 

Ironically enough, 20 years ago, I was in San Francisco, playing on a gay rugby team, and living in a house with a number of my teammates. 

gsking
Aviator C

Uh,  yeah.   Something really really REALLY got lost in the translation.  All this time,  I thought we were talking about masks 🤔

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

@gsking @No. we are talking about the ridiculous arguments being used by people who are refusing to wear masks.