Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: No Refund for Early Bird Checkin

gerogem129
Explorer C

I had exactly the same experience.  I too would have reserved in the future if I had known or been reminded that the early boarding funds would be lost.  This is such a kick in the rump by an airline that boasts of fairness and refunds. Sneaky is what I call it.  It's much like the bait and switch practices of grocery stores where the small print is hidden from elderly or other eyes. I'm truly disappointed.  Money doesn't grow on trees and for this profitable corporation to do this is really unacceptable.  I'm re-evaluating my use of Sourthwest (mispelling intended).

George M.

gerogem129
Explorer C

Too Bad the airline doesn't offer these suggestions prior to cancellation.  They lead one to believe that funds are available for future use. But they don't tell you that you're about to lose the early bird fees.  Think I'll go back to the credit card issuer and put the transaction under dispute....if nothing else they will have to spend as much of or more of their (it was mine) money responding to the banks.

gerogem129
Explorer C

Dispute filed...one small step for me and one other step for .... or something like that!!!!!

dfwskier
Aviator A

@gerogem129 wrote:

Dispute filed...one small step for me and one other step for .... or something like that!!!!!

Just out of curiosity, where did you file the dispute?

Leigh919
Explorer C

I had the same thing occur! My family and I had a round trip flight booked to Cancun on April 11, which is no longer happening, and we did “early bird” access because we have children and did not want to run the risk of not being able to have seats together on the flights. Now SW is stating that these fees ($200) are non refundable/creditable unless we rebook the flights now to the same destination. Under the circumstances that is obviously impossible . Given the current situation I would have expected a more flexible approach. $200 is a lot of money and this issue was completely outside of our control!!! Disappointing service from an organization that touts itself as being customer-centric!

No Refund for Early Bird Check In

jstratakos
Explorer C

I made an iffy reservation being confident Southwest has my back. No cancellation or change fees! However, I do not recall seeing anywhere that Early Bird fees were not included in your heavily advertised no change or cancellation fees or I would  never had selected that amenity at time of reservation. When customer chooses Early Bird, let them know upon booking, not after they cancel their flight! I canceled due to projected longevity of the Coronavirus threat. 

Re: No Refund for Early Bird Check In

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee
Solution

While EarlyBird is nonrefundable, we're recommending our Customers impacted by EarlyBird Check-In please contact Customer Relations for consideration by phone at 1-855-234-4654, or any of the options in the link below. Thank you!

Submitting a Suggestion and/or Complaint 

Nicole
Community Manager

Mdirick321
Explorer C

I wholeheartedly agree with original poster. For Blake to tell her to call CS, she already said she did. I did too and was told the same thing “sorry, it’s our policy.”  Well, SWA needs to immediately re-evaluate the policy because none of this is anyone’s fault and for SWA to pocket all the early-bird rates during this time is FRAUDULENT as they will make millions in these fees without having to provide any kind of service and possibly be receiving bailouts/loans from the US Govt. 

SWA, you REALLY need to re-think this non-refund policy immediately. 

BJS1218
Explorer C

I am also upset at no refund for early bird.  I am also upset about the unrealistic deadlines on travel credits.  I didn't cancel on a whim.  I have no way of knowing -- and neither do you -- when I will be able to travel again.  I want my full refund for everything I bought in good faith, and I want it returned to my credit card.  Your suggestion of a phone call is ludicrous.  Hold times are impossible.  The email link on your site is not working.  How am I supposed to get in touch?  You want a government bailout?  First play fair with your customers.

Jbros
Explorer C

I feel exactly as you do!! The same person told me to call as well. My husband has called twice and they told him sorry but not sorry! Such a slap in the face. There is no reason to not give us back our funds other than them making money off this horrible situation. I hope someone escalates this and let’s everyone know that Southwest doesn’t stand by their customers during a time of crisis and certainly doesn’t educate their reps to let their customers know that this is non-refundable. How many of you would have thought twice, during these times, to ever purchase a non-refundable item?!! I never would have if she told me!