Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Bring my own liquor and consume during the new COVID rules

tekrednek
Explorer C

Hello,

With the new rules of no food or drink service during flights can I bring my own liquor and consume it onboard?

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Bring my own liquor and consume during the new COVID rules

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

Sorry, only alcohol provided by the airline can be consumed during a flight. 

--TheMiddleSeat

Matt4202
Adventurer A

Alcohol less than 24% alcohol by volume (ABV) or 48 proof, like most beers and wine: For carry-on you are limited to containers of 3.4oz or less that can be carried onto planes” - TSA

Can’t find anything from Southwest not allowing the little shots as long as they’re TSA approved.

As far as food you can bring and eat any food that passes TSA.

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

@Matt4202 wrote:

Alcohol less than 24% alcohol by volume (ABV) or 48 proof, like most beers and wine: For carry-on you are limited to containers of 3.4oz or less that can be carried onto planes” - TSA

Can’t find anything from Southwest not allowing the little shots as long as they’re TSA approved.

As far as food you can bring and eat any food that passes TSA.

It's an FAA rule.

No person may drink any alcoholic beverage aboard an aircraft unless the certificate holder operating the aircraft has served that beverage to him.

Matt4202
Adventurer A

“There’s one airline that has figured out a way to use all of these rules to benefit its customers. JetBlue will allow you to drink your own alcohol on board, as long as you present it to them first so they can serve it to you, thereby adhering to FAA regulations.”

“It’s always possible you’ll have a flight crew that doesn’t care if you want to drink your own alcohol. On TPG’s recent Egypt Air flight from New York (JFK) to Cairo, Egypt (CAI), he and his father asked a flight attendant if it was okay to drink beers they had brought along — her response was “I couldn’t care less. Do what you want.” So as with all things in travel, your mileage may vary”

The Points Guy (It’s not letting me post link).

Which is why I asked Southwest’s specific policy regarding it, to which there is none and why I mentioned the TSA approved alcohol. My brother was just on a SW flight two weeks ago he brought (3) Travel Sized bottles of Rum and had no issue drinking them onboard.

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

[repost]

That JetBlue reference is from 2017. I don't know their current policy, but I do know that Southwest has suspended all in-flight service, so it would be impossible for them to serve you your own alcohol if they wanted to. Which they don't because they have an alcohol policy that follows the FAA rule.

Southwest's alcohol policy is printed on the in-flight menu cards (emphasis mine):

*Alcohol purchased onboard must be consumed onboard. You must be 21 years or older to drink alcoholic beverages. According to the U.S. Surgeon General, women who are pregnant or who may become pregnant should not drink alcoholic beverages because of the risk of birth defects. Images of the alcoholic beverage product do not reflect how it is actually served. Customer will not receive a beverage with a cap. In accordance with FAA regulations, Customers are prohibited from consuming alcoholic beverages onboard that are not served by Southwest Airlines. All Business Select fare drink coupons are valid on the day of travel only.

Yes, it is possible that you could consume alcohol you bring on board without a FA noticing. You do assume a risk in doing so, and keep in mind that you must obey the cabin crew's orders at all times.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Matt4202 wrote:

“There’s one airline that has figured out a way to use all of these rules to benefit its customers. JetBlue will allow you to drink your own alcohol on board, as long as you present it to them first so they can serve it to you, thereby adhering to FAA regulations.”

“It’s always possible you’ll have a flight crew that doesn’t care if you want to drink your own alcohol. On TPG’s recent Egypt Air flight from New York (JFK) to Cairo, Egypt (CAI), he and his father asked a flight attendant if it was okay to drink beers they had brought along — her response was “I couldn’t care less. Do what you want.” So as with all things in travel, your mileage may vary”

The Points Guy (It’s not letting me post link).

Which is why I asked Southwest’s specific policy regarding it, to which there is none and why I mentioned the TSA approved alcohol. My brother was just on a SW flight two weeks ago he brought (3) Travel Sized bottles of Rum and had no issue drinking them onboard.

I searched for this - it’s not on the JetBlue website, there they say only a snack and water due to corona virus. I don’t believe they would want to handle anything from a customer at this point.

The other excerpt is what you are allowed to carry on, but not what you are allowed to open (which for Southwest is none).

Anyway - be discreet and behave yourself and you may or may not have an issue. It would certainly be a little harder to camouflage these days as there wouldn’t be a cabin full of permissible drinks.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

gsking
Aviator C

A related and possibly better question is how are you going to drink ANYTHING on board starting next week?  A mask with a hole in it?

How do they manage on the long haul flights like Hawaii these days?  Buying your own beverages at the airport sucks, but at least it's water or soda.  Are they going to police how long you're allowed to have your mask down to stay hydrated ?

That's more of a curiosity to me than wondering how any particular Coke may have met Jack in the restroom prior to boarding... 

dfwskier
Aviator A

and in the process of taking masks off/putting masks back on to take drinks, passengers wil lbe constantly touching their faces - contrary to CDC suggestions.