Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Early Bird Refund

carincre
Explorer C

I know the policy is not to refund early bird purchases, but I would like to request that SW include this when banking cancelled trips due to the covid-19 travel restrictions. 

I have sent SW two customer service requests so far. 

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Early Bird Refund

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

That would be a good option, having an EarlyBird Check-In credit that could be applied towards a future trip. 

--TheMiddleSeat

Maureen13
Explorer C

I do this all the time: CHANGE EB booking to another date a few months away; then if that isn't really the date you want, change it again! Just DON'T CANCEL the res or you will lose the EB fee. 

Stay safe; practice patience. 

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

I would reach out to customer relations at 855-234-4654 or on Twitter so they can look in to your case individually and see if they could make any exceptions to the non refundable policy. 

I do agree it would be nice if people could transfer the EB check in to a new reservation. 

-Blake

SH5345
Explorer C

Absolutely agree.  It is not right that Southwest can change their flight schedule to something you never would have purchased in the first place and then won't refund the Early Bird if you chose to cancel!  Even an Early Bird travel credit would be better than receiving nothing.  With the self-quarantine through Apr 30 statement issued by the government they should refund all canceled flights that fall within that date range - including Early Bird fees.  I realize that the airlines are suffering financially due covid-19 restrictions but so are their customers.  Southwest's policy during these unusual times will certainly make me think twice before I book with them in the future.

drprnces
Explorer C

I talked to a customer service representative and was told no credit or refund would be given for a flight you can't take due to the shelter in place directive.

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

My understanding of Southwest's current policy:

If you cancel your flight, EarlyBird Check-In remains non-refundable.

If Southwest cancels your flight, EarlyBird Check-In will be refunded.

If you've forfeited funds spent on EarlyBird Check-In, consider reaching out to Customer Relations (I recommend via Twitter of Facebook private message) for accommodation consideration. Reports are that some customers are receiving a small amount of Rapid Rewards points as a goodwill gesture.

Hope this helps.

Karenhebert55
Explorer C

It should be the same for everyone across the board. My husband called about a refund on early bird and was just told it’s non refundable and always has been. 

mp80237
Explorer C

I lost my early bird funds. My cruise was canceled August 5th. After I got the email from the cruise line that the trip was canceled,  I canceled the flights. Lost my money. I had purchased early bird for myself and my mother. $80 gone

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

@mp80237 wrote:

I lost my early bird funds. My cruise was canceled August 5th. After I got the email from the cruise line that the trip was canceled,  I canceled the flights. Lost my money. I had purchased early bird for myself and my mother. $80 gone

I would Contact Customer Relations to see if they are able to help with at least a voucher for the cost of the EB some have reported getting a voucher but since the cost is normally non refundable no guarantees.