Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Overweight and oversized

EAMcGhee
Explorer C

If one bag is overweight AND oversized does SW charge fees for both overweight and oversize

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Overweight and oversized

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

@EAMcGhee wrote:

If one bag is overweight AND oversized does SW charge fees for both overweight and oversize

How much oversized? Plausible-sized bags will come through many times.

1 lbs over though and you probably will be charged, that doesn't squeeze through at all.

I believe they can charge for both it if was obviously oversized, like some of the big international luggage.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

EAMcGhee
Explorer C

Thank you for trying to help. It is a digital piano I am taking to a missionary in Costa Rica. It fits within the first overweight category and the first oversized category but SW doesn't make it clear if that is a both/and or an either/or and I just wanted to know before we get to the airport. Thanks again.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@EAMcGhee wrote:

Thank you for trying to help. It is a digital piano I am taking to a missionary in Costa Rica. It fits within the first overweight category and the first oversized category but SW doesn't make it clear if that is a both/and or an either/or and I just wanted to know before we get to the airport. Thanks again.

I see that is a different set of criteria for musical instruments, so you were looking at this page:

https://www.southwest.com/help/baggage/special-baggage-sports-equipment

DancingDavidE_0-1697562147809.png

How far into the oversize is it?

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

I asked on social media - they are saying only one charge $125 for both weight and size. 

So there you go - for instruments it’s one charge. @EAMcGhee 

EAMcGhee
Explorer C

SW was very good. And they did only charge $125 for both. Thanks for your input.