Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Stolen Items from Checked Luggage

JustinaD
Explorer C

I have been a loyal customer with Southwest for years and fly the airline almost exclusively. More recently, back in October 2023, valuable items were stolen from my checked luggage. I opened a case Southwest and TSA per Southwest's recommendation with all supporting documentation and have been getting the run around since. I will continue to escalate this issue to the highest degree  necessary and have decided to fly other airlines after my last scheduled trip in December. 

Has anyone else had this issue or concern with missing or stolen items from  checked luggage? Is 2 free checked bags worth the potential cost of theft? 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Stolen Items from Checked Luggage

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

@JustinaD wrote:

I will continue to escalate this issue to the highest degree  necessary and have decided to fly other airlines after my last scheduled trip in December. 

Has anyone else had this issue or concern with missing or stolen items from  checked luggage? Is 2 free checked bags worth the potential cost of theft? 

It doesn't sound like you are looking for any suggestion or follow up from the community.

For other readers, I'd suggest not to check anything valuable, and if you did have something in there you have to check at the arrival airport to show that there is damage or something missing within four hours. 

As far as the theft goes there isn't a lot of opportunity at most airports as the bags go moving around very quickly and I wouldn't change my flying habits when it isn't certain (or perhaps even likely) that someone employed by Southwest was responsible. Southwest isn't the one with the scanners - if someone were to see into the luggage and identify something valuable that person probably isn't a Southwest employee.

If your item was valuable enough to qualify then file a police report, and maybe pursue insurance. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Re: Stolen Items from Checked Luggage

dfwskier
Aviator A

To put it more succinctly: NEVER EVER put things you really don't want to lose in checked bags: meds, valuables, meaningful momentos.

You fly a lot and you did not know that?? Really??