Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Drink Coupons

Renee12
Explorer C

On May 31st my husband and I flew from Dallas to Birmingham flight 26. Our attendant came by for drink order and I asked if they still took expired coupons. He said no.(previous attendants have taken them). We had 27 left. He said give me all your coupons and I'll give you a double. For some reason this did not sit well with me. My husband flies all the time and I am a companion flyer. He doesn't receive coupons any more an another attendant said we could use these until we ran out. Maybe it's the inconsistency that's bugging me.  I gave him my coupons because it took me so off guard, I felt like I was doing something wrong.

Sincerely

Renee

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Drink Coupons

SoCalFlyer97
Aviator C
Solution

@Renee12 wrote:

On May 31st my husband and I flew from Dallas to Birmingham flight 26. Our attendant came by for drink order and I asked if they still took expired coupons. He said no.(previous attendants have taken them). We had 27 left. He said give me all your coupons and I'll give you a double. For some reason this did not sit well with me. My husband flies all the time and I am a companion flyer. He doesn't receive coupons any more an another attendant said we could use these until we ran out. Maybe it's the inconsistency that's bugging me.  I gave him my coupons because it took me so off guard, I felt like I was doing something wrong.

Sincerely

Renee

Greetings:

Here is the SW Policy on expired drink coupons:

"Coupon is invalid after expiration date and will not be updated or replaced."

https://www.southwest.com/food-and-beverage/

By rule, all expired coupons should be considered null and void; however I have seen Flight Attendants accommodate and provide exceptions on request, likely for passenger retention for repeat business or if the passenger wasn't able to use the coupon from a prior flight due to turbulence that prevented the snack/beverage service, but I would always be prepared to receive a "No" response. However, I found it odd that the FA asked for all of your coupon stock in return for a double. As a fellow traveler, not sure what that was all about.

Being a customer-to-customer message board, I would inquire about the inconsistency directly with Southwest Customer Relations to be sure but I think part of the reason may be to accommodate passengers who were not able to redeem them for prior flights:

https://support.southwest.com/helpcenter/s/email-us

Hope this helps.

dfwskier
Aviator A

Supermarkets don't take expired coupons.

Furniture stores don't take expired coupons.

Why would you think that Southwest should take expired coupons.

jksobonya
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

Supermarkets don't take expired coupons.

Furniture stores don't take expired coupons.

Why would you think that Southwest should take expired coupons.

During the “pandemic years” Southwest did take expired coupons for awhile.

Would be nice if they didn’t have an expiration date at all, but wishful thinking. 

— Jessica

05bardic
Adventurer C

@Renee12 wrote:

He said give me all your coupons and I'll give you a double. For some reason this did not sit well with me.

He was probably trying to get you to turn in the rest of your expired coupons so that you didn't ask the next 26 flight attendants to accept them. 

@Renee12 wrote:

Maybe it's the inconsistency that's bugging me.  

FA's sometimes make an exception to a rule and those passengers should be grateful. The problem with that is that some people will then feel entitled to the exception. Perhaps they'd be better off saying no every time to avoid situations like this. 

bballflyer
Adventurer C
Solution

If your husband flies all the time has he made it to A-Preferred yet?  They are now providing 2 coupons per segment to A-Preferred and he would receive those on his boarding pass

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A

Folks use of the words , "All the time" and "Frequently" are pretty subjective on this and other forums.

my 2 cents, Safe travels